Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS1100ED Started Clutch !!!!!HELP !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100ED Started Clutch !!!!!HELP !!!!!

Help, my starter stopped working on the way back from Yosemite. I though it was lack of charging. Basically the motor would not turn over and since i was on my way back home I did not bother to diagnose.

So today I realize the starter is turning over fine, but the starter clutch is kaput. The starter clutch is brand new, so I figure I must have not tightened the hex bolts that hold the clutch to the rotor.

I pop the cover and sure enough the fly wheel is rattling/spinning back behind. the rotor. Pull the rotor (fortunately it no heat was required).

Come to find out the starter clutch is worn out!!!!!! . Brand new OEM starter clutch lasted 2000 miles ????? What gives.

The picture shows the prior clutch and the new now worn out on on top. The hub on the flywheel is worn 0.5 mm. the barrels are worn out well below the size of the new parts ????

Is that copper plate supposed to be in there???????? I think i got it from an early small end GS1100E clutch that shows on the micro fiche but doesn't belong on this clutch. I only seem to have the one ; it is well worn because it is acting like a thrust washer to the flywheel boss.

Anybody got an idea????

Posplayr

Last edited by posplayr; 07-27-2008, 11:09 PM.

Looks like the clutch from my 1100G. Dunno if they are the same part numbers or not, but they are different from all the earlier clutches part numbers. My bike is an 82. Honestly, I dont see the wear. the pushers, springs and rollers all look good. Why do you say it is worn out, other than the obvious not starting? Are you sure its the starer clutch and NOT the starter? I STILL have an issue when hot and i just replaced my clutch. I think the starter itself is begining to wear and when its hot, it doesnt want to turn over. also, your primary gears are NOT the same. Looks like one is for an older model set up. as in its too small on the ID, which could be the source of your rattling, and if the clutch prematurely broke down, possibly the cause there. I would suggest comparing part numbers on the clutch, using the ORIGINAL primary gear, and reassembling perhaps? Neither primary gears look bad, so i would stick with the stocker.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2008, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Tck

The barrals measure:

14.80, 14.74 and 14.59 mm compared to new which is 15.00 mm

The flywheel boss is

51.48 mm v.s new which is 52 mm.

If I take either of two other flywheels and drop it into the clutch the barrels lock. With the "new" one just pulled out it will NOT ; it simply spins.

Clutch is worn out; all of the sprage clutch surfaces have been machined down inside my motor .

I'm looking for some explaination. The extra plate is what I suspect. I pulled it all out a couple of months ago and probably mixed the old stye starter with the new.

The parts you are looking at in the picture (save for the brass plate) are the lower original starter and the new upper starter purchased new from Flatout OEM Suzuki

Posplayr

Comment

Change the dowels and springs and thats it, IT WILL WORK.

Comment

The 1100ED clutch assembly

The 1100GZ clutch assembly

They look to be the same to me...What DOESNT look the same to me is in your pictures, the bottom primary gear looks entirely different as far as the inner hub from the top one. If this is hanging up somewhere, of course its going to ride your clutch one would think right? Did you replace the springs with new when you changed this? Asking, simply because i dont know. Also, from the fiche, there looks to be yet another washer/plate that is missing in your pics. Or you just didnt include in the pics...
          Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2008, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Tck

Thanks Josh for your help. I talked through the drawings that you posted with Chef and I finally realized that I did not have the bearing #10 installed . That explains alot. The clutch is worn out because I was using it as a roller bearing .

I'm going to flip #14 over and put it back in with the original clutch and get a new clucth on order from Flatout....

Thanks for your help and Chef also.

pos

Comment

Working...
            X