Chain and sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain and sprocket

Ok the chain on our bike was making a clicking noise ,also some of the links were sticking,so took it off cleaned and regreased it seems better,but I think we are in need of a new one,so could we have damaged anything by riding it not knowing there was a problem?
    Also if you put on a new chain do you have to go with new sprockets?

Thanks Chris&Kammy

Originally posted by GS1100e_RIDER View Post
    Ok the chain on our bike was making a clicking noise ,also some of the links were sticking,so took it off cleaned and regreased it seems better,but I think we are in need of a new one,so could we have damaged anything by riding it not knowing there was a problem?
    Also if you put on a new chain do you have to go with new sprockets?

Thanks Chris&Kammy
    Likely the cause of your chain damage IS the sprockets. You should always replace sprockets with the chain to promote propper chain life expectancy. Using a new chain on old sprockets will shorten its life dramaticly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Likely the cause of your chain damage IS the sprockets. You should always replace sprockets with the chain to promote propper chain life expectancy. Using a new chain on old sprockets will shorten its life dramaticly.

Thank you!
      I have been reading up on this stuff,learning as I go.This is really a great site for GS owners,I have been looking at all the info on here and it has help me a great deal,we've own dirt bikes and 4wheelers but never a street bike so it is new to us.

Comment

Thank you!
        I have been reading up on this stuff,learning as I go.This is really a great site for GS owners,I have been looking at all the info on here and it has help me a great deal,we've own dirt bikes and 4wheelers but never a street bike so it is new to us.
        Well it certainly is a pretty bike. I am half heartedly looking for an 1100E myself. I have an 1100G (shaft drive) and I love it, but I am a chain guy at heart, and my 750 just doesnt have enough ass for me after riding the 1100G. Its fun to flick, that lil 750 tho.

Comment

Well it certainly is a pretty bike. I am half heartedly looking for an 1100E myself. I have an 1100G (shaft drive) and I love it, but I am a chain guy at heart, and my 750 just doesnt have enough ass for me after riding the 1100G. Its fun to flick, that lil 750 tho.

Do you have pic of your bikes on here?
          would love to see them

Comment

Do you have pic of your bikes on here?
            would love to see them
            Are you asking me to see my bikes?? Gee i dunnoo....SURE! lol I love showin em off.

This is my 750 cafe project. As you can see, it is not made to be comfy, its made to flick around in corners...lol Its not QUITE done yet...

And this is "Griff" my beloved 1100G. She's a great machine, and Ive had alot of fun on her. But I want a chain drive 1100 at some point...

Comment

LOL yes I'm asking you to show off your bikes and nice bikes there are,...Thanks for sharing I really like seeing all the different styles,youve done a really cool thing with the 750

Comment

Thanks That 1100E of yours, from the pic i can see, looks like its in damn good shape itself Get that sprocket and chain set, and she'll be a mean runner for a good long time when taken care of. These old girls are pretty much bullet proof, and sometimes just need a little love and life breathed back into them.

Comment

Thanks That 1100E of yours, from the pic i can see, looks like its in damn good shape itself Get that sprocket and chain set, and she'll be a mean runner for a good long time when taken care of. These old girls are pretty much bullet proof, and sometimes just need a little love and life breathed back into them.

Any ideas where to get the right set for it,I have looked at some of the links on here,maybe I just dont know what I'm looking for...is it going to be something hard to find?

Thanks again

Comment

wow im jelous lol. nice bikes. hopefully we can get mine going so i can make it as nice as yours.
                    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
                      wow im jelous lol. nice bikes. hopefully we can get mine going so i can make it as nice as yours.
                      We'll get it runnin bro! They are pretty easy to get running if you pay attention to the details and do things according to the book. If you try to cut corners and half ass things, it will simply be a nightmare of frustration and failure.

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
                        I wish you lots of luck,bad time of year for someones bike to be down,I'm sorry do you have any pic to share?

Comment

I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                          http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Very nice bike!,get it going and show it off!

Comment

Working...
                            X