Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backfiring, with LOTS of detail... Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
    Timing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only timing that can be done for this bike is with the chain? Can I advance/retard the timing? Could this even be my problem?

Could the PO have changed the jets on me? Hmmm...
    I don't know anything specific to your bike, but I see on the fiche that it has electronic ignition instead of points, but all the same, doesn't spark timing get adjusted the same way via rotating the breaker plate (or I guess signal stator in this case) relative to the spark timing marks? Can someone with a newer GS (it's all relative) bike chime in here?

Anything possible with a PO, still the jets should be marked. Next time you have the bowls off, check the stamp on the main jets. At what throttle position are the symptoms occurring? This may not even be on the main circuit, meaning that the main jet will not be a suspect.

You mentioned that changing the cap seemed to help for a bit. When you have it apart to trim the wire back, measure the resistance in the cap and let us know what you find. The answer may be as simple as a new $4 NGK cap.

Comment

Shaughn,

Thank you very much. I will check those. I have figured out that my air filter is not correct, so that is adding to my problem, but I will definitely check the wires and caps as well.

Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X