How come my plugs fouled at 75 miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come my plugs fouled at 75 miles?

I recently asked for advice about my 1982 GS750 not running over 55 mph. and a new set of plugs fixed the problem but now I wonder if I should worry about my plugs being fouled out with just 75 miles on them. I have NGK plugs in it and thats what was in it when they fouled out. The bike sat for about 5 weeks until I got custody of it. How can they go bad by just sitting with only 75 miles on them?Those 75 miles were just riding around my subdivision because I didnt have tags on it yet.The last 2 days I have put 100 miles on it and it seems to run great.

What colour were the plugs when they 'fouled out'?? :twisted:

Comment

They were all black but #3 & #4 were kinda oily like they had oil on them and neither pipe is smoking.

Comment

Well, Black is excessively rich, and the oily is most likey from valve stem seals if you never see smoke out the pipes. Have you had to add any oil in your short riding yet? :twisted:

Comment

Not yet but thats not saying much since Ive only rode it about 100 miles.

Comment

When I first got my bike running last fall I noticed the plugs would foul up in a few miles, but it was seeing a lot of low speed riding and choke usage in cold weather. I have no problem now with normal usage. I concluded that it's good to get off the choke ASAP when you start up, and it doesn't like lots of low speed operation. There may be other factors but the problem went away so that's as far as I've gotten into it.

By fouling I mean the plugs were black (not oily) and they'd actually stop firing and then get wet. I'm not sure but I think I've revived a couple by cleaning them up, but it seems plugs behave a little differently in a bike. I've seen fouled plugs before, but never one that just stopped working, until I got into this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotblack
              By fouling I mean the plugs were black (not oily) and they'd actually stop firing and then get wet. I'm not sure but I think I've revived a couple by cleaning them up, but it seems plugs behave a little differently in a bike. I've seen fouled plugs before, but never one that just stopped working, until I got into this bike.
              That case tells me it a weak ignition. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
              X