Opinions on a 1980 16V 750 Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on a 1980 16V 750 Motor

So this is the bike I bought a week ago in not running condition. Spent the last week getting it running and think that I only have a few bugs to work out. This is my first GS experience and have to say that I really like this bike. So as I quest for information on in the forums I have noticed a certain distain for 80-82 750 TSCC motors being citing the oil pump.

So on to my question.
    Am I going to have problems with this motor due to the oil pump. The bike had 29k on it and a leaky head gasket which I plan on fixing this winter. What maintanence is need to prevent any catastropic failures on this motor?

I would like honest opinions either way for or against the motor.

Does any one here know what body style I have? GS750(?)

Over here in the uk that would be called a gsx750 e or et , we got a version with a slightly different shaped tank but its basically the same model

i'm not aware of any major faults with these engines apart from those caused by abuse or neglect but the do seem prone to weeping head gaskets

tone

Comment

I know some of the 8V guys dont like 16V

Maybe they don't like adjusting valves every 4K miles but rather hassle with the spacers.

Personally I really like the elegance of the 16V motors. The main difference between the 1100 and 750 TSCC is the 750 has plain bearing with high pressure pump v.s. the 1100 which is low pressure roller bearings.

Yes I have weeping cylinder gasket as well 59K miles on the GS750EX (81); nice smooth bike just needs some suspension upgrades to make it safe at speed.

Personally I would be much more worried about the R/R and charging system which applies to all GS's than the lack of reliability of the GS750 TSCC motor. The GS1100 is virtually legendary for robustness.

See my signature i have both GS750 and GS1100 TSCC motors.

Posplayr

Comment

If the fork legs have the leading axle, then the forks may be off an L model.
        My 1980 gsx750L has the leading axle forks.

Comment

oil pump

you have the GS750E style, its just been changed with the add ons. My 80 GS750E with the TSCC engine has 53,000 on it and not one bit of trouble with the engine or oil pump. Just change the oil and filter at 3,000 or so and use a quality oil, i use a syn royal purple 10/40w amazing stuff. Though any high quality oil is fine, whether it is petroleum based or syn. One thing dont add a oil cooler this bike, it has friction bearings on the crank and a oil cooler will rob some of the PSI and could cause some pressure problems to the bearings.

Comment

Plain bearing crank, junk. Im not sure if its the oil pump, or the gallery or other passages, but they have some sort of oil flow problem. Im inclined to believe its the pump itself, but not for sure. Drag guys seem to like putting the pump in the 1100Es, but I think those used a low pressure system in them due to the roller bearing crank (anyone confirm or deny?) so the increased volume of the pump in low pressure form may have some sort of stress relief on them used in that situation, again, not for sure. The 83 and up models of the motor were much more reliable by all accounts, as they went back and licked their calf over on the design. I have an 80 motor in my basement with a fried top end, for no apparent reason other than flow problems or pump failure. There have been numerous members here with the 80-82 motors that have experienced catastrophic failure of some sort due to oil flow problem. Personally, I cant say that its a horrible motor, as lots and lots have owned and had successful ownership of these bikes, but I wouldnt pay money to own one. Im not even sure id dump the money involved into a bike given to me to get it running.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Maybe they don't like adjusting valves every 4K miles but rather hassle with the spacers.

Personally I really like the elegance of the 16V motors. The main difference between the 1100 and 750 TSCC is the 750 has plain bearing with high pressure pump v.s. the 1100 which is low pressure roller bearings.

Yes I have weeping cylinder gasket as well 59K miles on the GS750EX (81); nice smooth bike just needs some suspension upgrades to make it safe at speed.

Personally I would be much more worried about the R/R and charging system which applies to all GS's than the lack of reliability of the GS750 TSCC motor. The GS1100 is virtually legendary for robustness.

See my signature i have both GS750 and GS1100 TSCC motors.

Posplayr
              The 1100 used a roller bearing crank, they got the best of both worlds out of that motor, and this IMO is a big part of it.

Comment

Working...
              X