Clutch Hub Spring Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Hub Spring Washer

My '84 GS750EF did not have the clutch hub spring washer (and associated clip and spring seat) installed behind the plates. It appears that some additional plates where added to compensate for the lack of the spring washer.

My Suzuki dealer could not get the spring washer plate (part is no longer stocked). He mentioned that removal of the spring washer (and associated parts) and installing additional plates was very common practice as a performance modification (which my bike apparently had). This was likely the reason way the spacer is no longer stocked.

Should I try and find a spring washer and re-install it?

Any thoughts out there?

Comment

I tried to find your bike in an American microfiche and I guess the 750 wasn't imported into the US.
      Are you having a problem with the current clutch set up? I have heard and practiced losing the piano wire. This is not needed.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clutch was dragging and starting to "chatter" when engaging clutch. Found the friction plates to be 0.3 mm (0.011") below the service limit and some plates distorted beyond limit. Until recently the clutch seemed to be working fine.

When I pulled the clutch apart I found an extra friction and steel plate installed and the "spring" washer and associate clip and seat washer removed...

Comment

Compare the part numbers to a 83 1100E. I have an entire clutch hub with the parts you need.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

if he doesnt happen to see this thread send a pm to rapidray, i bet he'll know, he's into performance mods
            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
            X