Mounting Dyna Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Dyna Coils?

Can anyone illustrate (by pictures or words) how they mounted their coils? There doesn't seem to be enough room under the frame to mount these coils without a portion of them touching the valve cover. Help!
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Not quite sure how your coils mount but when I replaced my stock coils I found it to to tight a fit to go in the same way as the stock coils. My coils mount on top and what I had to do to get them to fit and clear was to remove 1 of the nuts that hold the spacer on the screw. So the way it works now is screw threw the coil then spacer without nut on to frame mounting tab then nut on screw under frame tab. Loosing the thickness of the nut that normally holds the spacer on the screw allowed the coil to dip down enough to get the plug cap on the coil. This was the front mounting screw I did this to .The rear mounting screw used both nuts so it put the coil
    on a down angle. If you did the same mounting the coil from below it would angle the coil up, maybe enough to clear your valve covers. Not sure if this helps you, but it worked for me. Good luck,
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
      Can anyone illustrate (by pictures or words) how they mounted their coils? There doesn't seem to be enough room under the frame to mount these coils without a portion of them touching the valve cover. Help!
      I had this issue while rebuilding my GS550E this past Winter/Spring. I ended up going to a local hardware store and getting slightly longer bolts, some nylon spacers, and new nuts to hold it all together. It was impossible to fit the coils with the stock mounting hardware in between the coil mounting spars. You may need to adapt them with a rigging of your own design.

Comment

Got them on the G with no probs (2nd go at it, first time I had your problem)... had to mess with the order of stock spacers & washers & use the right mounting hole.

The wire points face forward & down on mine when fitted & the 12V & trigger screws are at the front nearest the forks.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You can also use a couple of wire ties to hold them to the frame under the tank. Just make sure the connections are not shorting to the frame.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
          X