Fork Rebuilding advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, while this is an argument, clearly, I just have to ask:

How was it Tobisim had to remove fork bushings from the engine?

And how was it Groundshock didn't just order fork bushings from the dealer?

These are not the kind of parts one installs used. If you have your forks apart, just buy new parts and be done with it.

S.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
      Easy guys. No parts or money even exchanged hands. Sh*t happens. It's over.

Relax.
      Agreed. Didnt want to drag it out onto the forum but the guy just wont let it go. Check his posts.

I've done perfect business with several others here, just not this jerkoff. He clearly has issues and after watching him troll thread after thread, it makes me feel good that nothing went any farther than it did.

Sorry for the drama, GSR, I know this isnt what we're about, but enough is enough.

Anyway, back on topic, what exactly are the fork bushings anyway? I looked at t he exploded view and didnt see anything that was called a bushing?

Comment

Suzuki calls these things "Slide Metals" for some reason.

On some bikes, such as the later GS850, the upper ones aren't listed on the fiche and don't seem to be available.

Last time I had my forks apart, at about 82,000 miles, mine still looked fine. At 17,000, don't sweat it.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Mine from 1983 are teflon coated. The teflon wears through. They are called slide metals, and also 'slide bushes' I think. They fit into an recess on the outside diameter at the bottom of the upper, and my understanding is that they help hold the tubes in alignment, preventing sticktion and such. I have heard of people shimming them out with beer can. The boys at the shop laughed at me when I paid for mine, saying I would never notice the difference. But I felt virtuous and safe, so I didn't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Suzuki calls these things "Slide Metals" for some reason.

On some bikes, such as the later GS850, the upper ones aren't listed on the fiche and don't seem to be available.

Last time I had my forks apart, at about 82,000 miles, mine still looked fine. At 17,000, don't sweat it.
            Sounds good to me. Kinda the answer I was hoping for.

Thanks.

Comment

Here's a pic for ya. The bushing, or SLIDE METAL as Suzuki calls it, is circled in red. It's kind of like a cap that the inner tube sits in.

Comment

#22 is the bottom one on the above diagram and #5 is the upper one. You want both.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X