clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch issue

i searched the forums a bit, few pages of results and didn't notice anything like this problem exactly..

I got stuck in a traffic jam. While stuck in this traffic jam, the bike got pretty hot, as it was already probably 85 degrees out. My clutch lever seemed to stop alltogether.. even fully in the bike was moving as it usually does just past the friction point when taking off. is this simply a simptom of the bike being really hot, or could this be a hint at a larger problem?

Could be the cable has stretched...
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Could be the cable has stretched...
      Bingo. The clutch runs next to the motor and heats up. Get a new cable.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

hm. this clutch cable is brand new.. but the PO put it on, so i don't know that it was OEM. i'll get a new cable, thanks guys.

i had (wrongly) assumed a streched cable would have symptoms all the time.

Comment

I dunno, that sounds weird to me. I have the same problem, I'm gonna look at it today.

Comment

Fixed!

I lubed up the "Screw Assembly" and it's working great! I got the bike all warmed up and tried to make the clutch stick, but it wouldn't. Before my "fix" it would stick at stoplights if I pulled the clutch in hard.

Here's what I did:

1) Lay bike down on it's right side.

2) Remove the shifter.

3) Remove the foot peg. (If you don't you won't be able to line up the clutch rod properly.)

4) Remove the sprocket cover.

5) Unscrew the two Phillips head screws holding the "Screw Assembly", use a number 3 bit.

6) Disassemble the assembly and lube it up, and put it back together.

7) Do 5-1 in reverse.

8) Enjoy the ride.

I neglected to remove the foot peg and "thought" I had lined up the clutch rod. I bolted everything up and the clutch wouldn't engage! I had to remove the clutch cover, loosen the pressure disk, and reassemble the whole mess. The push rod had driven the pressure disk off the rod! I won't do that again.

Well, that's my fix for a clutch that gets stuck and won't engage. It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Working...
            X