For those that balance their own tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that balance their own tires

Where do you guys get your weights and stick on or clip on? I've seen the beads you pour in once the tire is on but I don't think I want to go that route.

The clip on weights don't usually fall off. I don't see how dumping beads in a tire will balance it.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I use both. I try to use clamp-on weights on the GS wheels, especially the fronts, because they are so narrow that there isn't enough flat surface to use the stick-on weights. I use the stick-on weights on other bikes with wider wheels. I clean the surface thoroughly with alcohol before applying and have never had one fall off. In fact, it is usually hard to get them off the next time I change a tire...

I got a lifetime supply of stick-on weights at Pep Boys auto center for $15 a few years ago. Motion Pro and K&L make them and sell through various online retailers.

Thanks,
      Joe
      Last edited by Joe Nardy; 07-28-2008, 11:58 PM.
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Believe it or not, they do work! I'm running the Dyna beads in the front tire (removed all of the weights) without any problem....will do the same with the next rear tire that goes on.
        The site has an explanation of the science behind it.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

how fast have you gotten up to and how hard did you take off getting there?

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
            Where do you guys get your weights and stick on or clip on?
            For the past few years, I have taken the weights off any bike tire that I have taken into the shop for replacement.
            I have gathered a small collection of clamp-on weights in this manner.
            I balance the tires using the stock axle on a pair of jack stands with no problem.

My Wing is due for tires, but I am not sure I want to tackle those tires.
            They are rather wide, with a low profile, and I have heard from others that they are rather difficult to get to seat the beads.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used to work in a tire shop in college. We used powder balance in tractor-trailer steer tires. The stuff worked very well.

I remember another time a guy brought in a 944 Porshe. The dealer had put tires on the car, but it had a really bad vibration. We put a different set of tires (to some people, money is no object) and used the powder balance instead of spin balancing the tires. The shop owner went with the customer on the first test drive. At 120+, there was no vibration.

The stuff works good until you have a flat and have to repair the tire.

Comment

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have those beads in two of my bikes now. I'll never use wheel weights again. I've heard that you can use other things that are liquid in nature, such as anti-freeze. I don't know the physics are the same so, it should work. Maybe I'll try it some day.

Comment

Working...
                  X