Carb rebuild time, needle position??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild time, needle position??

I finally got all the parts needed to redo my carbs and started today. I got some carb dip stuff by Gunk called Hydro Seal seems to be working ok, anybody used this before?
    Thanks to Robert for the o-ring kit, mine REALLY needed it.
    My question:
    I just put on my new Vance & Hines 4-1 and the instructions said to rejet to a 130 main, which is what I'm doing. The bike is a canadian model so I have adjustable needles. What position should I set it at now to begin with the bigger main? I had them set to full rich with my old main for it to be even rideable. Stock ones were 112.5 I think.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2008, 10:20 PM.

I had to go up from a 115 to a 125 main on my 801000G with an inbox K&N & V&H.
    Ran the needles (I had Canadian needles) at one richer than stock, likely could have got away with shimming for a half space.

You need to test it & see but that should give you a start. 130 sounds too fat unless you have pods on there...
    The pipe alone should need about 1 full stage richer, maybe not even that. I would try 117.5 first with your K&N inbox max 120's.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I had them set to full rich with my old main for it to be even rideable
      Probably cause carbs needed to be cleaned.

I would concur that the 117.5 would be a good starting point for your setup..once you get it all together you can tune from there.

Comment

The needles were on the second to last notch as stock, almost full rich. Then i pulled the slides and moved the clip down a notch to make it rideable.
        The 130's will have to do for now, its all i have and it takes a week for the bike shop to get new ones in
        I set the needles clip in the middle for now, I'll see how it runs tomorrow.

Comment

very interested to hear how it runs around the half-throttle mark
          130, as mentioned, may be too big
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            very interested to hear how it runs around the half-throttle mark
            130, as mentioned, may be too big
            Yes, that seems a consensus on here, I should have it running today and I will post how it runs.

Comment

Bike runs good besides needing a carb sync. Revs hard to redline, clutch slipping much more than before. Much better roll on power from 4k rpm on up
              Might be a little rich, hard to tell with the clutch slipping so much.
              Waiting for my manometer from Z1, seems to be taking forever

Comment

well, i guess if the plugs dont get fouled with excess gas and you're happy with how it runs, then thats it
                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                X