Seafoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam

I have been experiencing trouble with my carbs after cleaning and new o-rings and boots. Runs fine at lower speeds, but it seems to get really lean at 4 or 5 thousand, back fires thru exhaust and runs poorly up there. My question is could gas with too much Seafoam be the problem, about a half can in a half tank of gas? Or, do I need to soak them in carb cleaner some more? Last question, what is the best carb cleaner, I've been using Gunk not sure if it is as good as other brands. Thanks, Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Are you talking about your 78?

I have used sea foam in every tank of gas... fairly large amounts.. with no problem.

Also, when have you checked timing/points condensors?

Good luck!

Comment

Good spark, Dyna S with coils and wires. I'm sure it's the main jet circuit, runs fine until the mains should be handling all the flow. Rats, I really wanted to be done with carbureator things. I've got a whole lot of other stuff to work on with the new '79 1000S. Ray

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
      Are you talking about your 78?

I have used sea foam in every tank of gas... fairly large amounts.. with no problem.

Also, when have you checked timing/points condensors?

Good luck!
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I have actually ran my outboard on the boat with straigh seafoam. I havent had to clean those carbs yet even after sitting 2 years.

Comment

I think you should let it run through a whole tank of gas, then fill up with no seafoam. Usually seafoam has to do its thing and the bike runs weird because of the additive, but let it run its course and then another tank of just reg gas should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
            I think you should let it run through a whole tank of gas, then fill up with no seafoam. Usually seafoam has to do its thing and the bike runs weird because of the additive, but let it run its course and then another tank of just reg gas should be okay.
            And if that doesn't work, try raising your needles 1/2 step.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

One other thing to check is if your slides are stiff and getting stuck when they start to go up. Could be one or two slides getting stuck, vacuum insufficient, and then when the rpms go up a little more, they move up more. Have you done anything with your airbox or airfiltre to change the dynamics of your airflow?

Comment

Working...
              X