what gsxr wheels will fit on a gs1150??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what gsxr wheels will fit on a gs1150??

I searched but didn`t really find the answer. I know some of you have done it. Is there a swingarm swap that will work also? If so what models? I assume there may have to be some bearing swaps also. I checked with Kosman and they now want 425 to widen a wheel...wow! 8O Last one I had done was 300. Thought it may be cheaper to change some things. Thanks again for all the replys!!!!

Re: what gsxr wheels will fit on a gs1150??

[quote="cbxchris"]I searched but didn`t really find the answer. I know some of you have done it. Is there a swingarm swap that will work also?

*** I`ve done it using RF 600 wheel from Ebay ( $ 75 + shipping)
    You could use 88 / 89 GSXR, or new generation Katana 600 / 750, everything in 17` / 4.5` size. It fits original swingarm.
    You can change a swingarm, but there is much more work involved.
    I had to shorten a caliper hanger and use sproket carrier from Katana 600. 2 new spacers to center the wheel. It was necessary to convert a chain from 630 to 530 and to shim transmision sprocket. Bearings size was the same.

Adam M.

Comment

The front end is easiest done by replacing the entire front end. You should be able to do it for alot less than Kosman wants to widen one wheel. The 4.5" GSX-R rear wheel from '88-'89 works well and a 160 fits it nicely. On my 700 I did have to use 700 sized bearings. The 1150 axle seems to be the same as the GSX-R. Just use a Gixxer caliper and caliper hanger. Gixxer spacers should work out as well. If the wheel is a tight fit between the swingarm at the axle just use a hydraulic jack to spread the swingarm a little. You have to spread it further than needed since it springs back.

Comment

Billy will the 160 go in the stock swingarm?? Looks like the arm is wide enough but there may be some chain problems. I assume going to a 530 would help some and possibly a offset sprocket? When drag racing I used 3 inch offset getting the tire outside the frame. I also assume there is a bearing support kit for a 3/8 offset? Sorry for so many questions I like to get it right the first time. 8) Thanks for the replys!

Comment

[quote="cbxchris"]Billy will the 160 go in the stock swingarm??

Went like a dream without touching original torque arm. This is the reason why I left it in place with original caliper above the swing arm.
          Billy used GSXR caliper and torque arm below the swing arm - I belive his swingarm is maybe shorter ( GS 700 ES ? ) then mine.
          The opposite side of the wheel was actually more difficult - I had to find narrower sprocket carrier ( Katana 600 ) then original RF, shorten the bolts holding a sprocket and convert a chain to fit everything without a problem in my swingarm. Because of this sprocket carrier I didn`t have to play with chain adjusters too - they fit no problem.

Adam M.

Comment

The reason I had to move the torque arm to the bottom of the swingarm is because of the caliper. The mounting point for the torque arm on the GSX-R caliper was the opposite of the stock caliper. One benefit is it does lower the center of gravity. To get a little offset on the front sprocket I ground down an old sprocket to about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 3/16" thick. Seems to be enough, I don't see any wear on the chain sideplates. You just have to make sure the lockwasher can still grab the splines on the output shaft.

Comment

Well I guess my next question is who makes the best/cheapest 3/8 or 5/8 offset support for the front?? Or can I go to 530 and still clear with no offset?? I just won a bid on a gs1150 rear wheel on ebay so I have just about decided to go the kosman route although expensive. I just hate having to mess with the front end ...I`m OK with it. I do not like mismatched wheels. Probably have kosman widen to a 5 inch wheel. I think my only concerns then are this chain issue and whether the tire would clear which has already been answered. I checked on Kosman`s site and although its a nice offset support I was hoping for something not as bulky. Thanks again for the info. With my back I`ve got lots of time to think things over!!! 8O

Comment

Working...
              X