Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible?

I'm on the freeway and I notice my headlight flickering. Thats odd. Get off the freeway, circling around the off ramp and the bike starts sounding funny. Get to the light at the bottom of the off ramp and the bike is just barely sputtering to life. I'm holding the throttle all the way open and its just blurbling at me. Finally and dies and it was like someone hit a lightbulb with a baseball bat, BAM dark. No power, turn the key off, back to on, no power, no lights, no anything, its like theres no battery in the bike. I look over and realize the kill switch is half on and half off. I'm sitting at home charging the battery waiting to go back so I can get my bike home. Is it possible that riding with the kill switch half on and half off, and probably bouncing from the ride drained the battery?

I found a fuse while yanking the battery and it looked fine, but I was getting no power anywhere. The battery is charging now, its going to be fun walking back to my bike at 1am to get it home.

If anyone knows if this could be the cause of my bike dying let me know before I walk all the way back there to put the battery back in at 1am.

I could tell my charging system was working fine on the way home because the way my lights would get brighter when I opened up the throttle the way they always do.

Comment

Well, at worst, a charged battery SHOULD get you home. I suppose the kill switch thing COULD be the cause, but I would start to wonder about the charging system on the bike. Yes, it was charging, but was it OVER charging? Failure of the regulator can allow the stator to OVER charge the battery, and start frying things out, like lights, and other electrical systems, including the stator itself eventually. The regulator is like a gate, it generally allows the bike to pull up to about 15.5 volts, and then closes the gate at that point to prevent over charging. Depending on the system, it does it many times a second. If the regulator dies (as the stock ones are often prone to doing) there is no flow control, and things start pulling as much as the stator will put out, overheating the stator, and lots of other goodies. Get it home, then break out the multimeter and print out The Stator Papers here on the site and start testing. Good Luck!!

Comment

The kill switch wouldn't cause the dead battery.
        See the stator papers http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X