Handling issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handling issue

Hey all its been a while since I have posted, I have been out racking up the miles. I do have a handling issue at higher speeds though so I have not been taking it on the highway. At 50 or above the front end seems to be shakey is this just the way these bikes handle or is it I am sure a numerous number of other things ex: improperly balanced front tire, worn brake rotor, front forks, etc. I would like to be able to cruise on the highway without having the front end shake. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance and happy and safe riding to all

Checking the wheel balance is quite simple. Put the bike on the centerstand, jack up the front of the engine to raise the front wheel off the ground. Pry the brake pads away from the disks so the wheel rotates freely. Spin the wheel slowly, note where the valve stem stops. Repeat to see if there is a pattern to where it stops. If it stops in the same area every time, add a weight to the top of the wheel. Repeat the rotation and check procedure until the valve stem stops in random locations every time. This is best done with the wheel off the bike, but will work on the bike if the brakes are not causing any drag.

Check your fork springs and fork fluid. Inconsistent springing and damping can affect operation.

A warped rotor will probably be more noticeable when you apply the brakes lightly, but is still possible to be noticed while just riding.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is the tire any good?
      Have you replaced the steering stem bearings lately? Could need tightened down a bit. But that would be more of a wobble.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

The tire is new last summer had it put on at a shop in the neighborhood. I just took the rim up there and had them put on the new tire and told them to balance it. I am not sure if they did or not though I will check the balance the way steve said.
        How hard is it to change the steering stem bearings I think that may be part of the problem. If I have the bike up on the centerstand I can move the front end back and forth a little bit. I would rather have a pro do that though if it is not outrageously expensive.

I work in ypsilanti and I live in Redford area it would be easier to hop on e-way to get to work instead of taking main roads. With the gas prices I ride to work any time that the weather is clear to cut down on fuel cost.

Comment

Yesterday @a slow speed like 30 I letgo of the bars and hit a little rough spot and the bike went into a speed wobble a slow tank slap checked stem barirngs with the front off the ground . and it seams like no play any thoughts. it is a 85 1150ef.and would filling the bars with lead do much to dampin bars from a little buzz. thanks in advance Martin

Comment

head shake originates from only a couple factors.

#1 tyre = pressure, wear pattern , balance,
            #2 fork and tree alignment and rear wheel alignment. ( shaft type not applicable rear alignment)

#3 loose head bearings or worn swing arm bushings.

crashed and bent bikes will dog track and shake
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Tire pressure or loose steering head bearings. From the 30 mph tank slap wobble i would say loose bearings. Pulling the wheel back and forth will only detect seriously loose ones. The bearings should offer just a bit of resistance. You will know when they are too tight by the bike wandering or not being able to hold the bike in a straight line.

Comment

Working...
              X