Stop leak in a bottle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop leak in a bottle?

I was at napa getting some engine brite to clean off the gunk that had built up due to my weaping gaskets and I while I was looking at the shelf I noticed some stop leak stuff that is supposed to restore leaky gaskets. I almost bought it. Then I though what if this stuff messes up my clutch? Does anybody know if it is safe to use or will I screw up other things? My clutch is already feels weak. I dont think I could get the front wheel up if I tried.

Don't use it. Bad for the clutch.
    Replace the gasket instead.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Stop leak when used in cars is a temporary fix at best. I wouldn't use it in a bike. It's best to fix the problem the correct way even if it is more expensive or time consuming.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. This is just a bandaid for the inevitable that will leave you stranded somewhere down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyboxes View Post
          I was at napa getting some engine brite to clean off the gunk that had built up due to my weaping gaskets and I while I was looking at the shelf I noticed some stop leak stuff that is supposed to restore leaky gaskets. I almost bought it. Then I though what if this stuff messes up my clutch? Does anybody know if it is safe to use or will I screw up other things? My clutch is already feels weak. I dont think I could get the front wheel up if I tried.
          Im pretty positive you couldnt get the front wheel up if you tried, even if you had a brand NEW clutch. Thats a near 500lb machine you have there, and i just dont think it has the ass. Could be wrong, seen a couple 1000s stand up, but those guys had modded them, and knew how to get it to do it. besides, if you want to ride on one wheel, get a unicycle. No business for that on the street. At any rate, that StopLeak crap is garbage. Putting it in your bike is like pulling the pin on an unknown grenade. Its only a matter of time before it does some sort of serious damage. Keep in mind the oil in your bike lubricates EVERYTHING. Your motor, your clutch, your transmission, all of it. I wouldnt put that garbage in my radiator, let alone anything that i wanted to run properly.

Comment

I can clutch up the front wheel of my 79 750L, it takes some work, but will come up if you really want it to. Go along about 4500 in first, clutch in, let her revs come up to 9 and clutch out fast, she will come up! With someone on back it will go bolt upright in an instant if you want it to. Not that I do it very often, but it definately can be done. Good luck getting a GS up to its balance point though, that would be pretty wild on one of these old bikes, and the forks will not like you very much when she comes crashing down!

Oh, and to stay on topic, .... I wouldn't put stop leak in a car I hated, let alone a bike I like!

Comment

Thats pretty much what I thought. It was just one of those fantasy moments. Kinda like when the powerball hits 300 Million and you buy a ticket and start planning how you're gonna spent the money. Not that I need to wheelie but my old 84 VF700 weighed more and would get up. I know i saw a video on the net of someone doing it. So I am sure it could be done.

Comment

Yeah do it the right way and not worry about it for a long time. Some people also think if they have a serious carb problem by putting in seafoam will cure the problem. It's a very nice product and I use it myself, but I have taken the carbs apart twice now to follow the carb cleanup pages. I've never taken apart my carbs, but the carb pages make it very easy to follow. Hope this helps you.

Comment

I wouldnt put that garbage in my radiator, let alone anything that i wanted to run properly.[/quote]

Side note on putting additives to radiators. Obviously, fix the radiator is the best and in my opinion only fix, but you'd be amazed what a can of black pepper will do for stopping leaks. Have seen old timers do it to their tractors when in a pinch. When pulling cooling system apart, have yet to see any damage caused by the pepper. Gives that coolant a peppery smell too. Ok, thread hijack is over.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Im pretty positive you couldnt get the front wheel up if you tried, even if you had a brand NEW clutch. Thats a near 500lb machine you have there, and i just dont think it has the ass.
                    Ahhhh, you can wheelie anything. When I went to pick up my FZ1, there was a shop tech doing wheelies in the parking lot on a brand new Suzuki M109. It was an impressive sight. Clutched 'em right up. I learned how to wheelie on my 1100E which power wheelied in both 1st and 2nd, and I could clutch up a wheelie from a 50 mph roll. With enough ass (not the bike now) you can pull up almost anything that has a motor.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Ahhhh, you can wheelie anything. When I went to pick up my FZ1, there was a shop tech doing wheelies in the parking lot on a brand new Suzuki M109. It was an impressive sight. Clutched 'em right up. I learned how to wheelie on my 1100E which power wheelied in both 1st and 2nd, and I could clutch up a wheelie from a 50 mph roll. With enough ass (not the bike now) you can pull up almost anything that has a motor.
                      Ahhhh, spoken like a true Hooligan! Can't wait to ride the back woods of maine with you again!

Comment

Found this on the net. Same bike as mine

Comment

Working...
                        X