Breather
    Fuel
    Petcock vacuum
    Tank breather

Thanks.

Fuel 3/8
    Petcock vacuum 1/4
    Tank breather 1/4
    Thats what worked for me I went to the hardware store and picked up the clear stuff got like $.50 a foot.

If you have it apart or have old stuff just bring it with ya.

Comment

Yeah, you can get the sizes, but on these particular hoses, there is nothing like OEM.

Any replacement fuel hoses that you get nowadays have to be super-thick and abrasion-resistant, so they are not flexible enough to make the curve from the petcock to the carbs. The vacuum hose would be OK, and maybe the tank breather, too. But, are you sure that's a tank breather hose? More likely it's the emergency drain hose that is attached to a catch-cup under the fuel level sending unit. That can be vacuum hose, as it should never have to carry any gas in it. The breather hose sounds expensive if you get it from Bike Bandit. I just got one for my son's 850. The price was just under $20. The nice thing is that you get more than you thought you would. Instead of a perfedtly-fitting hose, you get a section that is 2 meters long. That's just over 6 feet of hose to fit in an area that requires less than one foot. LOTS of extra hose.

Buy the right hose. Buy OEM. Buy it once.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tommyboxes View Post
        Thats what worked for me I went to the hardware store and picked up the clear stuff got like $.50 a foot.
        I have found that you have to be careful with some of the hardware store hoses. Not all of them are compatible with constant exposure to gasoline. They will harden in a relatively short period of time. But, before they get a chance to harden, some of them don't tolerate heat very well, either, so there is a chance that your new hose will deform due to heat, then harden and stay that way. I still like the idea of OEM.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

On my last bike, I bought a vacuum hose and fuel line from a motorcycle store. They were meant for fuel and worked very well. I just didn't remember the sizes. My breather hose is listed for $7 or so, but I'm sure I can find something locally that will work.

As for the other tank hose, you are correct. Emergency drain.

Comment

Read Steve's posts right above. He is absolutely correct. I screwed around with hardware store hose the first year i got my bike running. The clear plastic stuff hardened in a season. Ordered OEM. Fits like a champ, stays flexible and like he says, they give you enough for two bikes. Just include it on your next OEM parts order.

Comment

This is what I am talking about.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

The fuel hose on an 850 is 8mm. 5/16" works quite well, since these match up almost perfectly when you convert (5/16" = 7.94mm).

The vacuum fitting is 6mm. Some 1/4" hose is too loose (1/4" = 6.35mm), but some brands are a little tighter and work fine.

I believe the breather hose is either 10mm or 12mm. 3/8 hose converts to 9.5mm, so it'll work OK on a 10mm fitting.

If it's 12mm, most 1/2" hose will be a bit too big, since 1/2"=12.7mm. Again, you'll need to experiment a bit if you replace this with 'merkin sizes.

And finally, the vent hoses are 5mm. 3/16" hose converts to 4.7mm, so that's close enough. It'll be a wee bit tight, but not really noticeable or a problem.

I agree that ordering the OEM stuff works well and you usually get more than you need.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have an 82' 850GS and was wondering where you purchased your fuel and the vacuum hose? My hose I took off today was 5/16" I think your right about the size of the vacuum hose. Just wondering where the best place to purchase OEM hoses. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                    This is what I am talking about.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/104
                    That stuff is just a bit better than what is available at my local hardware store. I'm sure it will do a fine job.

Besides the obvious benefits of getting the right diameter tubing when you order OEM, you also get the thin-wall tubing that isn't so hard to get around the corners that are inevitable in the tight spaces under the tank, around the carbs.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Any replacement fuel hoses that you get nowadays have to be super-thick and abrasion-resistant
                      yeah, you're right, but they look so "serious" (lol) so thats just what i use
                      GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                      X