Replaced clutch cable, now hard to shift to 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced clutch cable, now hard to shift to 2nd

I have a 78 GS550, I recently replaced the clutch cable, in doing so I had to remove the shift linkage. Now it is pretty hard to shift to 2nd, unless at high speeds it can be easier. Downshift no problem.

I was wondering if I possibly reinstalled the shift linkage wrong? There is the sort of star pattern on there so did I maybe not get it back on in quite the right way?

Thanks,

Mark

I would think so.... You probably moved it around the splines so now when you pull the cable you do not get so much pull at the box.

Make sure you release all the adjusters to their loosest setting & set it back where it was then adjust it up so you get just a little free play at the lever (sort of 3 degree pull on the lever or opening up about 1mm at the pivot join) & it should be fine.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This sounds like your talking about a clutch cable adjustment? Is that right? I can give this a shot, but I think the clutch cable is good, I can shift through the other gears fine, and at speed, with the clutch pulled in, I can rev up with no forward momentum (leading me to believe the clutch is engaged).

Comment

1st to 2nd is the hardest shift.... the others you could shift without the clutch.

It does sound like you're pulling enough clutch but I have to say if the only things you changed are the cable & moving the arm on the splines then it has to one of the two!! Move it back where it was on the spline & adjust the cable to suit. Humour me... I've had a similar issue before.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It's looking like the cable does need a little adjusting still. Also had a battery on the way out which made things a bit more confusing, thanks a lot for the response.

Comment

Working...
          X