one step forward...2 back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one step forward...2 back...

Update on the 97 Katana. Yeah, I know this is the older bike forum, but gotta let ya know this site helped me more than you know.

After reading many threads on here, I found out that my tank was the major problem. Been sitting in a garage for two years, and had all kinds of surface rust. Well, I put a new petcock on prior to cleaning, but last weekend did the new "Kleen" tank refinishing. Looks awesome!

Also, took the carbs off (thanks again for the step by step process guide). that guide is awesome for the do it yourselfer! Took them apart and cleaned all the little parts off and dipped that which I could. *(my 97 has a thick white piece in the middle that wouldn't come out - which I believe holds onto the needle jet, but not sure) Anyway, they look sharp!!

Put them back together and back on the bike and started it up. I looked back to see what the airbox side looked like, and had gas dripping out of all four! UGH! Is it possible that I messed up the new petcock that fast??? It looks good, so I don't think that is it. I dunno. From the forums on here, that's the first thing that popped into my noodle, but I"m hoping it's something that I forgot or missed. Any ideas as I'm about to go out and tear them out and apart again to look through.

Thanks again for this site. I have thoroughly shocked those here that said I couldn't do it at work and look forward to going on a ride soon (without the fuel leak).

sincerely,

Craig in KY

quick update...

I went out and took the fuel line off the petcock and left it in the ON position..very little came out after rocking it back and forth a couple times. I started the bike back up and looked to see where the fuel was coming from. there are two small holes on the bottom side of the airbox side that have the fuel coming out there. I'm starting to think it's something inside that I'm missing. the only thing I have left to go on is the Orings, Orings, Orings. they looked to be in pretty good shape to me though. Just need to know if I need to replace them anyway.

Comment

Before everyone else says it, I will let you know everyone says replace them. Cycleorings.com.

What about your floats? Did you check the float height?

Comment

1 step forward...

I actually got in touch with cycle orings, and he couldn't confirm or deny that they were the right ones for my bike...but that's OK. I'm going tomorrow to Grainger to get a 'case of o rings' of all sizes, so that should help me out.

As far as the float adjustment, that's way above my technical aspect. I actually don't even see how to adjust them. The ones on the tops basically sit in the 'cup', and the ones on the bottom are plastic and appear to have a spring in them. I see no where there can be adjustments.

I think I"m going to replace the orings tomorrow and drop by the 'shop' to see if they can guide me in a direction. At least I can take the carbs off and take them apart now in about an hour or two. that's light years ahead of where I was before.

Actually, I think it might be the petcock again. Just for giggles, I took it apart and found a metal shaving (where it came from, I have NO idea), but put it back together and the bike ran for a bit, but then at high RPMs, it started back out the airbox side of the carbs. I hate to have to drop the dough on another one of those if I can eliminate the other possibilities.

Comment

i kinda dont really understand where that leak you're talking about is showing (when you say that "THEY" drip fuel)
          a pic would help
          maybe the fuel tap holding bolts leak and the gas leaks down the fuel line
          or maybe the bowl floats (bowl valves) are stuck and the gas keeps flowing into the carbs
          or there may be a leak on the orings on the inter-carb T pieces
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X