No announcement yet.

stumped by turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine aren't on, either. Just used as turn signals. I don't think it's a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by blokv1100 View Post
      My turn signals work, but my day time running lights on the front do not light up.

I have a 1980 GS1100 L, are the running lights supposed to be on?
      Vic, Generally on the GSs the "running lights" are on the same circuit as the Headlamp/Tail-lamp(NOTbrakelamp) and gauge lights. If all those things are working, its likely NOT a fuse. I would crack open the headlight bucket and start having a look. Im not sure what colour those wires are, but since they are right there, you can easily trace them. I do believe there will be THREE wires coming out of each signal. One powers the running light, one powers the signal light, and one is a ground. Pull your headlamp off its plug, and, with the ACC on, play with the connections in there. If you have a multimeter or a test light, it would come in handy. I am NO electrical guy, I had to have Steve show me all this, but once you sort out the rats nest thats in that bucket, its pretty straight forward. Could be bad connections in the arse connectors, or could be spilt wires, or worse still, some jack handy PO before you went bucky wild with the strippers/cutters in there. Thats what WE found in my bucket. Had that bike ever had a Windjammer or anything on it?? Another thought too, is I *THINK* those bulbs were originally DUAL filement bulbs. I dunno if they'd fit, but someone could have replaced them with single filiment bulbs. But that might make them run all the time and not be brighter when the signal was on. hrmmm... Like I said, im no electrical guy..lol
      Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Another thought too, is I *THINK* those bulbs were originally DUAL filement bulbs. I dunno if they'd fit, but someone could have replaced them with single filiment bulbs. But that might make them run all the time and not be brighter when the signal was on. hrmmm... Like I said, im no electrical guy..lol
        I replaced mine with cat eye single filament. Stumped me for a while when I installed them. They'd stay on all the time and get dimmer (if blinking at all) when I turned on the signal 'til I disconnected the running light wire and taped it off. No more running lights. Just signals.

Comment

On my 82 GS1100gk the front running/ turn lights do stay all the time but I have a fairing
          so don't know if that makes a differance. I also had a blinker problem but that was because the PO had crossed 2 wires so I don't think thats ur problem. But I did notice the flashers worked better after I cleaned the flasher contacts. Now when i use the flashers the head light and other blinker flash out of sync with the 1 I have on. I suspect that to be a ground or shared power issue but havent gone looking for that yet.

Comment

blinkerless

HI. M81 550T had the same symptems as your ride.My fix was easy, I replaced the rectangular flasher with a automotive round three prong flaser. #556.but i was lucky. as mentioned before in light bucket.L,R blinktap at a 3 or 4 ground wire connection. clean.If its a wire try running jumper wires if noting else shows up. I changed my blinkers with short stock Yamaha SRX 250 ones. had no problem with swap considering bulbs are so diff. good luck. SAN
            Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2009, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I wired in the flasher as directed in bass cliffs pdf and all is fine but my self-canceling system doesn't work. If I wanted to connect that again what would I do?

Comment

Originally posted by rgierer View Post
                I wired in the flasher as directed in bass cliffs pdf and all is fine but my self-canceling system doesn't work. If I wanted to connect that again what would I do?
                You bypassed it or it doesn't work?

Another shameless plug
                I have some self-canceling boxes.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X