Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator

need some help here I have a 80 gs750 with a charging problem. The bike had what I thought was a new battery when I bought it after 5 rides it wouldn't start so I charged and ran it multiple times. After getting tired of the process I bought a new battery. Tonight I took my second ride with the new battery and just had to pop it to get home. When I pop it I can ride 40 to 50 miles and have no problem until its off. It powers motor and lights no problem can the generator do all of that and not have enough to charge the battery? If I need to change the generator can someone show me a cheaper way I just saw the parts on bike bandit for $400.

All is revealed in The Stator Papers:

And no, it doesn't cost $400 to get your electrics working again...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

well thats a better price. time to take out my manual and get to work. I hate electrical work

Comment

Originally posted by pita1028 View Post
        I hate electrical work
        All you need are a couple of basic items, like a test light and an inexpensive digital meter. If you don't already have a meter, look for one with a 'diode check' function on it. Makes some of the tests a bit easier. Feel free to ask questions about the tests. The Stator papers are quite well-written, but if you don't understand the basics, the whole concept can be rather intimidating. By the time you get done, you just might be saying "is that all there is to it?"

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X