Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS100E Header, carbs & cam upgrade

Greetings fellow Kamikazes-

I have recently purchased a 1980 GS1000E and have been considering some upgrades. Eventually I want this bike to blossom from it dormant stage of Vetter fairing & luggage rack to its true form- a Wes Cooley Replica. My initial searches showed a limited number of header suppliers. I was kinda looking for a Bassani Super Bike Pipe or Yoshimura- look. Neither is going to pan out but after looking at past "Bike of the Month" pictures, I ran across "Ken's 1981 GS750E" (Feb.2007) w/ a homebuilt header system.
    He was kind enough to send me some additional information on how he did it. To make a long story longer, in talking w/ the dealer I bought the bike from, he said (in terms of rejetting for a header) the stock carbs don’t like to be "played with much". Does anyone have a recommendation of carb replacement? Keep in mind I will be adding some Yoshimura Cams, maybe stage ones.

Thanks for your time & response's. I LOVE this site!

BuckarooBanzai
    Shelton, Washington.

welcome

Originally posted by BuckarooBanzai View Post
    in talking w/ the dealer I bought the bike from, he said (in terms of rejetting for a header) the stock carbs don’t like to be "played with much".
    get your dealer to join this forum, lol

on an 80 model, you'll have cv carbs
    people sucessfully re-jet them for aftermarket pipe and/or pod filters
    if on top of that you're going for radically different cams and other upgrades, then - yes, you'd benefit from larger carbs
    but this doesnt have to do with the carbs not liking being "played with" but the quantity of air they can let through

keep us posted
    GS850GT

Comment

BB,

You should keep in mind that your bike is 28 years old.

Has the dealer been in business for 30 years? What's his background?

I always like to hear what people have to say, but I don't always believe them.

As far as your carbs go, lots of members here have added headers and pods and rejetted the stock carbs. They can even give you a baseline of what jets to start with.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Nice taste in bikes.

Vances and Hines 4 into 1 pipe, a Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, and a set of K&N individual pod air filters, and some .365 lift Web camshafts would set you up nicely.

Comment

Kamakazes?

That's that OTHER brand, right?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Nice taste in bikes.

Vances and Hines 4 into 1 pipe, a Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, and a set of K&N individual pod air filters, and some .365 lift Web camshafts would set you up nicely.
            yeah, looking at your sig i can tell you're speaking from the experience
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Nice taste in bikes.

+1

Don't buy cheap pods, get the K&N's They are matched to the jet kit

Comment

At the risk of hijacking the thread.....

I'm getting started on a bit of a project myself. The carbs that came with the bike are disassembled and missing some parts.

Question is since the early 750 and 1000 both ran VM26 carbs, would they interchange?

Just a rough check LOOKS like they should. Since I'll be adding a pipe, DJ kit and pods, would I be able to use a rejetted set off a 750 or must I use a set off a 1000?

This would widen the search for replacement carbs and any insight is appreciated.

Thanks, greg
                Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

hey greg vm26 bodies are vm26 bodies, just use all the internal that come in the gs1000 carbs. Like I said i have the set of carbs you gave me only missing the mixture screws and another set of gs1000 carbs minus mixture screws. let me know what parts you need.

+1 w/ 80GS1000 recomendations.

might want to consider/check valve seals, piston rings, clutch disks and clutch hub nut before you go to after market cams. Usally these old clutchs start showing their age when you bump up the power.
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                  X