Drain bolt size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain bolt size

'81 GS750L. I looked at the fiche and tried to use the stock number deciphering method (#09247-14001). I suppose it's 14mm, but what about the length? Found a thread in the search that states it as a 21mm socket. Is this the same for my bike? Seems standard for these bikes. Thanks.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

I have a 1982 GS450GAZ. The oil drain plug is the same size as my spark plugs, 21mm. The nice thing I've seen about my bike is there are only about five different size nuts and bolts on the bike all in the 10-21mm range.

Edit: I bought a 21mm spark plug socket for my socket wrench at Murray's for $3 and used it on my oil drain plug. The quality is ok, the metal doesn't bend, or mar, or strip on it but the rubber insert falls out alot and probably needs to be glued in.

Comment

14mm thread with 21mm head.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

oil drain bolt

Save your self some time and headaches now and pull the oil pan and have the drain hole sleeved with a steel insert it will never strip then. Cuz the one you have will its just a matter of when.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I bought a 21mm socket today to drain what oil remains. I'm going to adjust the valves this weekend. Have all the reqd tools and gaskets and such. Almost ready for some reassembly. Soon it will be time to try the start switch and see what happens. It's been a process over the last few weeks. I'm doing my best to be like a little Doctor.........you know, they have little patients. Or is it patience?
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
          X