Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Wheel Rattle

Hi all,

Just trying to work out a little issue on my buddy's '81 GS850G. The front wheel seems to make a a rattly/loose sound when you shake the handlebars up. We've taken it apart, checked the bearings (seem fine, move freely), the spacers are all arranged correctly. We checked all the other bolts (brakes/etc) to make sure nothing else was making the sound, checked the triple-tree's (fine) , taken it apart and put it together again (twice).

It still makes a slight sound, like something is loose somewhere, when you shake the handlebars. When you hold the brake lever down, it lessens the sound, which implies that something is up with the wheel itself.

For the life of me, I don't know what it could be, and my friend said hes gone up to 160kmph(100mph) without any speed wobbles of any sort.

My '80 GS850L doesnt make any sounds when doing the same stuff, so were just wondering if anyone has any tips?????

POOT

Two things...

One, check that the rotor is secured properly. I would chance to guess that it is.

TWO, is it the BRAKE LEVER ITSELF thats making the racket? Mine does. Took me forever to figure out what it was, because I cant see the lever when looking at my bars on the bike, and the only time i would hear it is when riding at speed. The lever itself sorta rattles in the joint, and makes a lovely metalic sound when ya hit bumps or its vibrating at high revs. You mentioned grabbing the brake lever lessened the sound, this is what caused me to suggest this.

Comment

I've also seen the rivets holding the fender get loose, causing the fender to rattle.

A good thwack with a hammer and punch tightens 'em up, but you have to be careful to back up the head of the rivet properly.

Some fenders are welded, so never mind if yours is, or if it's not loose.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ocasionally front brakes with floating callipers rattle. I had a friend with a BMW R90S that though his front end was falling apart, it was just the calipers rattling on the fork legs.

Comment

My GS1000 clocks ratter when I bounce the front forks.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Metal fender, and another option is the fork tubes, could be the innerbushings are worn and you get movement there.

Comment

I had a weird rattle going over bumpy parts, traced the sound to the ignition keys.

Comment

Working...
              X