starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problems

I've been having issues with getting my bike to start and i got it running after i changed the battery, spark plugs cleaned the float bowls and the carburetor. after i changed the battery it started up and ran fine i rode it for the first time which was today i changed the battery saturday and it wouldn't start i got it turned over it would start and once it hit about 500-1000 rpms it shut off the only way i got it to run is if i revved the trottle before it cut off. occasionally i had to turn the throttle knob full open and sometimes that didn't work. also what should my rpm's be at when the bike is idling

Very possible you have charging system problems. It runs right after a charge, then gets progressively worse until death as the battery is sucked dry. Idle should be about 1000 to 1200.

Comment

Your pilot jets might be clogged which stops fuel comming into the carb. When was the last time you clean your carb?

By the way, can you share your bike info? year, model etc... it will help us to trouble shoot the problem.

Comment

i have a 82 GS550L how do i solve the charging system problem is that is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilee7 View Post
          i have a 82 GS550L how do i solve the charging system problem is that is the problem?
          First make sure it's a problem. Get a voltmeter, fully charge the battery and see if you can get it started. If you can, check the voltage at the battery with the bike running. Should be in the ballpark of 14 volts at 3000 to 4000 RPM. The main GS resources page, "In the Garage" section has something called the stator papers. It has that test and tests that follow if it fails that one. It's basically a matter of "when" the charging system fails on these bikes, not "if".

There could be other causes, fuel, spark, but a place to start.

Comment

where is the fuel filter located?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilee7 View Post
              where is the fuel filter located?
              Inside the tank attached to the petcock. You can see if it's clogged by removing the fuel line from the carbs, stick in a bowl or jar, and turn the petcock to prime. fuel should flow freely. To check if a vacuum petcock is working properly, (if you have a vacuum petcock) do the same procedure, but also unhook the vacuum line, move petcock to "On", suck on the vacuum line, and again fuel should flow, and it should stop when you stop sucking.

Comment

fuel flows freely in on i didn't have to do anythiing and prime same with prime

Comment

Hi Mr. Wilee7

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X