Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rejet wont start

Hi Guys/Girls,
    I just complete rejetting my 81 GS1000. It has high flow baffles and emgo pods. I installed the Dynojet 3 jets and followed the directions to the letter. Now it wont start, just cranks and cranks with no hint of wanting to turn over. I checked all connections and everything is tight, as it should be. The I put the stock airbox back on for kicks and still, nothing. I also checked the bowls and there is fuel.

Help!

Originally posted by Chuck2 View Post
    Hi Guys/Girls,
    I just complete rejetting my 81 GS1000. It has high flow baffles and emgo pods. I installed the Dynojet 3 jets and followed the directions to the letter.
    Where are your mixture screws at? Ignition OK? Do you have spark? Kill switch in on "run"?

Since you have messed with things, start with the basics of air, fuel and spark.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,
      it was running perfectly before the rejet project so the spark and everything non-jet related should be fine. I did as dynojet suggested and turned the fuel screws in tight and then backed them out 2.5 turns.

I'm real frustrated as you can guess, I messed with something that wasn't broke and now it is

Comment

Plugs wet? Pull em and check. Somthing is up. Maybe ya bumped the float levels on accident? You put the bike on prime? (silly question)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Plugs wet? Pull em and check. Somthing is up. Maybe ya bumped the float levels on accident? You put the bike on prime? (silly question)
          Just pulled the plugs, now this could have been pre jetting but what I found is: they are all dry, 1 & 4 are grey, 2 & 3 black, does that mean anything?

I tired starting in prime and reserve. What does bump the float levels mean? The only thing in that area to do is change the main jet.

Sorry I'm such a newb but this forum has taught me enough just to be dangerous
          Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck2 View Post
            Just pulled the plugs, now this could have been pre jetting but what I found is: they are all dry, 1 & 4 are grey, 2 & 3 black, does that mean anything?

I tired starting in prime and reserve. What does bump the float levels mean? The only thing in that area to do is change the main jet.

Sorry I'm such a newb but this forum has taught me enough just to be dangerous
            If you accidently nudged the floats hard enough it could have messed up the float levels. I doubt that would cause a no start problem tho. With your plugs being DRY, sounds like its not getting fuel at all. You certain you reassembled everything correctly?

Comment

In a case like this, I always check the stupid things first:

Throttle cable
              choke cable
              all boots tight?
              and you manually push the needle up?
              All all other connections/screws tight?
              Are the spark plug wires on (I do this one all the time)?
              Is the fuel hooked up?

I am no way trying to imply you or anyone else is stupid, I just know I get anxious and excited and skip all the simple steps and just want to hear it run.

Comment

Instead of prime put it on run and suck on the petcock diaphram vacuum hose for a minute. Make sure the main idle knob is not all the way out.

Are you getting spark?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok, just scared me half to death I read all the replies to my post, thanks a million guys. Before I posted my original message, I put the battery on charge because it was low from all the failed attempts. So after reading your replies, I headed out to the garage to try the things you suggested. Hooked up the fully charged battery, no choke, bike has been sitting for hours, started right up. BUT, it revd up to 7k+ so I jumped on the kill swtich. This happened several more times.

The good news is it starts, the bad news, it almost flew through the other side of the garage Tomorrow I will look at the throttle cable or other related cables that might be kinked, twisted, etc..

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

Chuck
                  ps. who was it that mentioned the idel knob? You might be right for this new issue. I'll tighten it up first thing.
                  pss. getting excited about the new ride and feel.

Comment

You wrote "I'm real frustrated as you can guess, I messed with something that wasn't broke and now it is "

I can only laugh with ya because I bought my bike with barely anything wrong with it besides a few minor things that had to be done to it. Well I probably put things on my bike that I should have left alone and broke and fixed anything original just because I wanted to make it better. I think it's how we all get to know our bikes. Mine being my first as well. Countless things and times I should have left it alone and ended up being more time and frustration. But the way I look at it is that whatever I have in my Sig, "I" have taken out and installed myself, but my mechanic telling and guiding me on what to do. I guess point being is that I know my machine better now than I did when I first bought my bike and only knew how to check the tire pressure when I first bought her.

Comment

re jetted

HI. turn the high idle screw out. the large knob under intake air box side or filters in your case. check choke cable is not hung in throttle linkage. G,L .SAN

Comment

Working...
                      X