gs 450 L power problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 450 L power problem??

I have gs 450 l version. I bought it in Holland. The problem is that i can ride just 55mph.It could be 70mph i know this. This model have some blockade but i don't know were? Carb is oki i think. Somebody told me it could be different camshaft. Thanks for all help

So it gets to a certain RPM and then just won't pull anymore?

Comment

It's either fuel or a timing issue. Check that your timing is okay, points are adjusted correctly and points gap is .03-.04mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoges View Post
        It's either fuel or a timing issue. Check that your timing is okay, points are adjusted correctly and points gap is .03-.04mm.
        Yeah, my first thought is fuel starvation.

Comment

I think these have the vacumn pipe onto the L/H carb body also which maybe a cause. Float level checked out okay...

Comment

I have to check because i'm not sure.I will check this tomorrow. In neutral it can pull to tha red limit. On the speedometet i have special sign ( 55mph in a circle) and thats the limit is . Engine has lack power in all RPM. Thanks doctorgonzo Float level i checked and is ok! Vacumn pipe normal i think with one hole near needle jet.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Float level is 22.4mm, pilot screws on the outside of the carb bodies are set between 1 and 3/4 and 2 and 1/4 turns out for a standard setting. Good luck with it, not too much wrong I reckon.

Comment

Albert1

What year is your GS40L ...~1980 they went to electronic ignition

Sequence I would use:
                - Remove and clean air cleaner under seat, also check for obstructions
                - With engine at idle, spray carb cleaner or WD40 around inlet boot flanges (between carb and engine) - idle should not change speeds, if so tighten all screws / clamps and check again, if it still changes speeds replace inlet o-ring and / or boot
                - Check for rust in tank, if rusted, then check for clogged fuel screens (Tank petcock, float valve screens)
                - As strange as it sounds, the main jet on my GS450 is located in the bottom of float bowl cover, not attached to the needle jet. Did you check that the main jets were clean when held up to a light?
                - Ignition timing light verify Idle & >3500 RPM within limits of manual
                - Engine Valve adjustment

Here is a link to an on-line manual for your bike:
                Sign in with your credentials to access the EBSCOhost premium information resources provided by your subscribing institution.

Type in Library for user ID and password.
                Go to small engine repair, motorcycles, suzi, then
                GS400-450 CHAIN DRIVE, 1977-1987

Comment

Working...
                X