Chain Tension - Remove Link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Tension - Remove Link?

I need to get more chain tension, but I am at the furthest tension adjustment. Do I need a new chain, or can I just remove a link or two? Thanks.

Better off to get a new chain. A stretched chain plays havok on the sprockets. If the teeth are worn to a sharp point it would be wise to replace those too. If you can lift the chain from the back sprocket at any point it's a good indicator that it needs to be replaced. When was the last time it had a chain replaced? Maybe the previous owner replaced the chain and didn't remove enough links to start with.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I'd get a new chain and sprockets.As a "get you there'a" you could take a link out,but.......... Get a new chain and sprockets.Cheers,Simon.
      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

If it is the original chain definately needs replacement, If it has been replaced ? they could have had an extra link when they installed it

Comment

Count the links on the chain and the teeth on the sprockets. Someone might have changed something.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X