DIY exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY exhaust

have read through the old forums of all the talk of making a non-stock exhaust from stock header pipes, but everyone is running an exhaust. Could it work with a slip-in baffle insert to keep with a straight pipe? Want straight pipes, but need something to kill the noise (cops around here are kinda pricks). Just not sure if there'd be enough compression to not lose a ton of power if I went this route.

Anybody tried this in the past?

Originally posted by BloodyKnuckles View Post
    have read through the old forums of all the talk of making a non-stock exhaust from stock header pipes, but everyone is running an exhaust. Could it work with a slip-in baffle insert to keep with a straight pipe? Want straight pipes, but need something to kill the noise (cops around here are kinda pricks). Just not sure if there'd be enough compression to not lose a ton of power if I went this route.

Anybody tried this in the past?
    I wouldn't worry about the cops. I'd be more concerned about ****ing people off (like family and friends) and giving the motorcycle riding community a bad (worse) reputation.

Open pipes are for wank3rs. IMHO

Comment

Go for it. The cops cant do anything if you are legal. In MN USA you just need tome sort of baffle to make it legal. Aparrently this law doesnt apply to harleys though. Make a set of headers insert some minimal baffles and ride hard.

Check these out.
      Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

if you want a loud rat bike I bet these would do the trick.
      LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!! LOL

Comment

Guess I should have emphasized that I'm more worried about power/performance loss than anything, but yes - I think the megaphones that work so well on these engines are hideously dog-pi$$ ugly and want something a little better looking than the debaffled pipe I have now, but want it to be quality, too.

Noise is a bit of an issue if Gahanna police are going to be stopping me every 2 blocks, but mainly I want something that runs well.

Comment

Find something like this, and start cutting the baffle until you get the sound you want

Or, you can run straight pipes, and install a set of these from JP Cycles. You'll need something to create some back pressure, anyway. Are you planning to run one, two or four pipes?

Comment

Forget my last post.... I thought you were looking for a noisemaker...
            You made another post while I was typing.

You might need an adapter, but you could try http://www.apollocones.com/index.html.
            Hand rolled and hand welded. With or without baffles. Looks like they're custom made for high, midrange or low-end

Last edited by dardoonk; 07-30-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X