Runs better on choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs better on choke?

Thought I already posted this but mustve hit the back button instead.

Anyway, been noticing lately that the bike has been ever so slightly harder to start than normal. Could be the heat, could be the gas, I dunno.

Since I got it, its always ran a bit better and smoother with just a hint of choke. Going down the road it seems slightly sluggish without the touch of choke. Pull it just a little bit and it seems like it grabs another gear out of it's rear and goes.

Really the only issue I have with the bike anymore.

Any help? beating a dead horse? Stock airbox, Mac 4-1, 16v 750, 17K miles.

When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

Comment

I'm not a carb expert by any means, but from what I've read here, when the bike runs better with a little choke you are running lean.

Have you done plug chops to check.?

Sounds like a carb adjust is in your future.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

With a 4-1 pipe you really need to install a jet kit. I believe the stock main jets on the '80 750 are 115s. According to the Dynojet website you should be using 130s, along with the pilots and adjustable needles...

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          I'm not a carb expert by any means, but from what I've read here, when the bike runs better with a little choke you are running lean.

Have you done plug chops to check.?

Sounds like a carb adjust is in your future.
          Honestly, I know exactly jack about carbs.

I have no idea what a plug chop is.

I was looking into the DJ Stg 1 Kit, but after sending out the carbs for cleaning, install, etc, it was just too much cash at once.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
            Honestly, I know exactly jack about carbs.

I have no idea what a plug chop is.

I was looking into the DJ Stg 1 Kit, but after sending out the carbs for cleaning, install, etc, it was just too much cash at once.
            Running better on choke is certainly a sign of a lean condition. You really need to SLIGHTLY upjet with an added 4into1. Its not nearly as drastic as an open intake (pods) but its still necessary or you will have issues like you say. Usually, 3 jumps on the main (say you have 112.5s in your bike, you'd need 120s) and a bit of shimming on the needles (done with washers replacing the large nylon spacer, likely TWO washers, or about HALF the thickness of the original spacer) to do it by hand. Or A STAGE 1 kit from Dynojet will help as well.

Comment

I had the same problem even after new intake o rings. I re-sealed the air box and now it it running great. Your air box gasket may LOOK OK, But re-seal it anyway. I used some weatherstrip from the hardware store. Less than $5 and works great.

Comment

Working...
              X