Hard to start,my valve timing looks ok,BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to start,my valve timing looks ok,BUT

My GS425E is driving me to drink on this. I replaced a leaking head gasket so removed the camshafts, and put it all back together as per the factory manual. "T" mark on R cyl, cam lobes pointing towards each other parallel to the head surface, #1 mark pointing forwards again parallel to the head, #2 mark on EX camshaft pointing up and then counted back 20 pins to the #3 mark on the inlet camshaft. It looks bloody perfect, but it just takes forever to start, draining the battery every time. It seems to be 1 tooth out to me. Have I done something wrong or missed something cause I've been on this for a week or two now. I've done the points and gap to death, and still it's a P.I.T.A to start. Once it does start, it struggles with regular normal idleing without constant throttle blips. Anyone had similar. It was running fine before I did this all for the sake of a little oil down the front. Why why why did I touch it....

Doesnt sound like timing to me at all. Sounds like you should have checked your valve adjustement while you had it apart. Did you put the shims back in the same spot they came out of? or is yours one of those that dont use shims? Sounds like you followed the cam timing to the letter, so I dont think that is the issue.

Comment

I checked my valve clearances (shims),when I put it back together, and they all were within limits. I didn't move the buckets and shims, thats why I thought it was good. I just pulled the head off and sat on the bench whilst I did the gasket. I'm just soooooooo sick of pulling the rocker cover off, but maybe thats what I'll have to do and double check this. I'm sort of glad you don't think it's the timing, cause I checked it all so many times beforehand. It did seem to fire up easy the first time, but just has gotten worse and worse since.

Comment

I thought the 425s had 18 pins between 2&3.
        Did you count the pins directly over the arrows? Did you turn the crank and recheck the cam timing?
        TDC #1 (crank trigger pointed to the left) and #1 pointed at the valve cover gasket surface. #2 pointed about straight up and #3 on the intake cam 20 pins from the #2 on the exhaust cam.
        Did you have the front chain guide installed when timing?
        Did you jump a tooth when releasing the cam chain tensioner.
        Take the cover off and have a looksy. I know pita but it has to be done.
        Last edited by chef1366; 07-31-2008, 01:15 AM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef and TCK,
          Yep I'll pull the top off and have a gander. I think the 450 is 18 pins and the 400 and 425 20 pins. The 450 is a little different to the smaller HP's. My front tensioner is a little worse for wear, maybe... It's a lovely little bike and is in much the same riding style as the Brit twins, albeit, without the oil leaks,spongey brakes and dodgey bloody electrics. Time for beer and ponder I think.

Comment

Hard to start could be due to low compression, recheck the timing again as sugested

Comment

Working...
            X