Idle speed adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle speed adjustment

Whats the difference between using my idle speed adjustment screw and my throttle cable to adjust idle speed?

Slack

Because, ideally, you should have a slight amount of slack on your throttle line when it idles. There's no reason to have tension on the throttle line when it's at rest. Personally, I think it "feels" better to have the line a little bit loose at idle.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

When I tighten the screw on the throttle line my idle speed reduces, does this create slack, or would I turn it the other way?

Also, I just tried starting my bike up and when I hit the ignition all I hear is a click and sometimes it turns over. Any ideas about what this might be?

Comment

Loosen

Loosen up your throttle cable and set your idle at the carbs so it's just right. Then, tighten up the cable so it's comfortable to use. As far as your other issue, your battery is low (or shot) or you've got a bad connection....it's one or the other and both are easy to diagnose and fix.

Comment

How do I tell between a bad battery and a bad connection?

Comment

You need slack in the throttle cable at idle because the cable goes tighter and looser as you swing the bars from lock to lock. If your throttle cable is setting the idle speed, the engine will rev madly and drop revs as you swing the bars around. This is tailor made to cause a parking lot crash if you turn a corner and the bike surges unexpectedly on you. I always set mine to the minimum amount of slack that will allow me to go lock to lock without the idle changing. I would like no slack, but it is not usually possible.

Edit: To see if you have a bad battery, charge it overnight while off the bike. Let it sit for a day and then take a multimeter and see what the static voltage is on it. Below about 12.8V with no load and it is toast.

Mark
            Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2008, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCG View Post
              How do I tell between a bad battery and a bad connection?
              Check the voltage directly at the battery. If it reads ~12.5v then it's ok. If not then you'll know the battery's the problem.

If the battery is ok then check the grounding points. The frame acts as the ground for the entire electrical system. Probably the most significant ground is right by the fuse box/rectifier under the side cover. Unscrew it and make sure it's clean. Worth checking even if the battery is the culprit...

If the battery is the problem and it isn't charging while running the bike then search the forums for info on regulator/redtifiers.

Comment

Which way do I turn the throttle cable adjustment thingy to create slack?

Comment

Right in the middle of the carbs is a fixed plate that the throttle cable sheath is attached to. Below the plate the actual cable runs to the cam that rotates the bar that controls all four throttles.

Losen the nuts above and below the fixed plate and then back off the upper nut to allow more free play in the cable. The actual cable should appear just slightly limp when adjusted correctly. When you reach that point tighten the two nuts against the plate to keep it in place. The correct adjustment should allow just a hair of twist on the hand grip before the cable pulls the throttles.

The final test is to start the bike and turn the handlebars lock to lock without touching the throttle grip to see if the revs increase. If the revs increase then there's still too much tension in the cable.

Comment

There's a cable near my right hand grip that has a screw on it and when turned it changes the idle speed, what do I do about this?

Comment

The screw at the hand grip is ok but only allows for a small adjustment. If it's enough then cool!

Back off the knurled lock nut and then screw in the cable to add more slack. If it's enough then just screw the lock nut back down to keep it in place. If not then you'll need to look at the other end of the cable.

Comment

Understanding that you may not be mechanicaly inclined but some trial and error is usually a good thing.twist the nut out...the idle will either go up or down. not rocket science.

Comment

Odd

Hasn't anyone besides me realized that there's something odd about all of this????? Do a search and read ALL of our new friend's posts. This can't be for real....
                          Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-31-2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                            Hasn't anyone besides me realized that there's something odd about all of this????? Do a search and read ALL of our new friend's posts. This can't be for real....
                            Charlie's alter ego.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                              Wow! Exellent response, especially for new subscrbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X