electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical problems

I have a 1980 1100E and I have taken it down to bare frame including the wireing harnes. I have finished all work but am haveing a problem with the electrical. All lights work put the starter will not. I am not sure what to do. When I charge the battery to full and hit the start button all I here is a single click comeing from the starter cellinoid. I am not sure if the starter or the cellinoid has gone bad or I just have a bad wire or something is miss in the connection. Please let me know what you think!!!!

Greg

You'll want to get out a volt meter and check the voltage coming from the relay when you push the starter button. You'll be checking the big wire that goes down to the starter for 12 Volts. If it checks out you'll need to pop off the starter cover and check down there. If that tests out okay you probably have a bad ground.

As an aside, I had this problem a few days ago and I had to pull out my starter and sand the commutator with 600 or finer emery cloth. That fixed it for me but I think you've probably just got a wire missing. If you do take apart the starter you should reinstall the bolts with loctite on them. If you tighten them too much the starter will either not work or it will squak at you.

Steve

Comment

There's been a lot of posts about starter problems lately. My problems are documented inthe following post :

But I'm sure you will find more with a search

Comment

Jumper a wire directly from the battery to the wire going to the starter on the solenoid. If it turns the starter, then the solenoid is bad. If the starter does not turn, then you need to check it out. You can jump from the battery directly to the post on the starter motor. Again, if it works, the you have either a bad connection or the solenoid is bad. If not, then it's the starter. You can take the solenoid apart and clean the contacts inside, then reassemble it.

Terry

Comment

Working...
        X