Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light on when braking?

well, guys, it is done.

i upgraded my brakes.....ss lines from earls, plus a m/c and caliper rebuild front and back, and new pads. the results are....astonishing. i can lock up the rear wheel (i never could before) and make the front tire chirp during emergency stops.

however.....

after some particularly vigorous and squeaky trial e-stops, my oil light comes on. it goes off as soon as i give a little throttle twist.....hm.....lets see. that oil pressure sensor is at the back of the engine.....are my shiny (oh, yeah, as long as they were off, i stripped and polished the calipers and master cylinders....ooooo.....shiny....) new brakes, in fact, so effective that they are slinging the oil to the front of my engine, tricking my oil pressure sensor? theories?

anyhoo, time to ride......

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Are you pulling the clutch in when braking ? What is the idle set to? Personally I wouldn't worry about it as long as it goes out. At idle it only has around 1.5 lbs of pressure.

Comment

My guess would be that the oil is sloshing forward in the sump under brakes and the oil pick is sucking air for a moment and that brings the oil light on. Then when you accelerate the oil goes back to normal and light goes out. This used to happen on my old Holden six which also had the pickup towards the rear of the engine.

Comment

Clean the switch and clean the screen in the sump.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

sump screen is clean..i dropped the pan last winter and did that. clean the switch. hm. maybe THIS winter.....
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
          X