Turn signal controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal controllers

I'm looking for someone who has any of the original Suzuki part numbers 38830-49200, 38830-49201 or 38830-49500 turn signal controllers that they don't want anymore.

They're found on most GS850 - 1100 machines 1980 or later.

They don't need to be functional, I'm more trying to find out the physical information including details of the manner in which they connect to the wiring harness. Obtaining some non functional examples would be ideal if anyone has them.

Thanks
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

I have three but they all work.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

So the reason I want to get my hands on one of each type of these controllers is to design and build a replacement controller with a view making them available for sale. Replacement cost of these controllers is laughably extortionate for what they are.

Background:

I have a '79 GS850G and my original controller started having problems, there were days I simply couldn't turn left. Anyhow, when I looked up the price of a replacement, the cheapest I found was $255.

I design and develop these type of embedded systems professionally for a blue chip corporation and decided to design and build my own. The prototype has been working glitch free on my machine for the last 6 months and cost me way less than $255.

I'm getting ready to make these controllers available to anyone that needs one and my target price was half that of the Suzuki replacement at around $130. Sadly the costs of commercialization has pushed me past that to probably $140 - $145 but still a substantial saving and no need to do any modifications to the host machine at all. It is plug compatible with the wiring harness, fits directly in place of the original on the machine and provides similar functionality.

However, here's another option. My prototype has full functionality with self cancelling over 10mph etc. But if you prefer full manual control of your turn signals, my controller has a configuration switch that allows the user to configure it to operate in that manner. The beauty is it still uses the original momentary signal switch on the handlebar - so no need to change it.

I looked at the controllers for later machines and of course they're different but a reduction in complexity from the '79 version. What that means is I've probably already designed, built and tested that functionality so all I need to do to make those available (also at a fraction of the Suzuki part cost) is to make them such that they connect directly to the wiring harness and mount to the machine the same way or at least in a similar manner. Hence my request to you people at GSR trying to find someone willing to work with me.

Bit long winded, sorry, but I for one am fed up with huge corporations ripping us off on part cost forcing riders of these machines to make modifications to the system to get around the problem.
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Hi,
        Just a quick question. Will your controller incorporate the flasher and be able to drive led flashers as well and will the time out period be user changeable other than only disabling it?
        Thanks

Comment

So my controller does exactly what the old one did in terms of switching 12v through the flasher unit then to the requested lamp pair, sadly I don't believe the controller is the determining factor in the use of LED turn signals it's the loading on the flasher unit. Now having said that... it would be a minor enhancement to write the software in it such that the flasher unit is no longer needed and the controller just supplies intermittent 12v out if that would be desirable. Would that make it easier to use LED flasher units? That could be yet another mode of operation if it's something people would find beneficial.

Yes, my controller has user configurable timeouts both with and without the speed sensor, 3 timeouts are available in either mode. For now I've set them somewhat arbitrarily just so I could test the functionality and find any code bugs whilst in use on my machine. From memory without the speed sensor the choices are 30 secs, 45 secs and 60 secs, with the speed sensor the choices are 5 secs, 10 secs and 15 secs. Of course there's also full manual mode.

Hope that helps.
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
            So my controller does exactly what the old one did in terms of switching 12v through the flasher unit then to the requested lamp pair, sadly I don't believe the controller is the determining factor in the use of LED turn signals it's the loading on the flasher unit. Now having said that... it would be a minor enhancement to write the software in it such that the flasher unit is no longer needed and the controller just supplies intermittent 12v out if that would be desirable. Would that make it easier to use LED flasher units? That could be yet another mode of operation if it's something people would find beneficial.

Yes, my controller has user configurable timeouts both with and without the speed sensor, 3 timeouts are available in either mode. For now I've set them somewhat arbitrarily just so I could test the functionality and find any code bugs whilst in use on my machine. From memory without the speed sensor the choices are 30 secs, 45 secs and 60 secs, with the speed sensor the choices are 5 secs, 10 secs and 15 secs. Of course there's also full manual mode.

Hope that helps.
            I cannot advise you on what would sell and make the project profitable, but I can summarise some of the points that has been discussed before.
            You most likely already know all this:
            The OEM flasher units are load dependant making it easy to switch over to a cheap replacement electronic flasher unit to drive led's with their lower current or retain the existing 12 Volt bulbs. On bikes with AutomaticTurn Signal Cancelling Units, this functionality is then lost.

Some turn cancell units measure distance, speed and incorporate a timer and if all these measurements meet a set criteria the unit switches the flasher off.
            Some bikes have a special flasher switch to start the flashers and then also allows manual cancelling of the flashers in addition to just pushing the switch to off.
            Using the flashers on for lane changing at high speed and auto cancelling and the extra functionality of using the flashers as hazard lights or even high visibility driving lights, flashing all 4 or having all 4 on permanently and still flashing them could be usefull.
            I would say if you combine the flasher relay and the automatic canceller features into one unit, make up a generic plug/connecter and then have available small patch cables to the OEM connectors as an option you may have something that some will look at. In the end you are competing with existing units already available and the features, quality, ease of use, ease of installation and finally the PRICE is going to bring you your customers.

It sounds as if you have most of the details in hand already and I hope this helps you a bit. Just do not forget the PRICE, too expensive and you are not going to sell them as many guys just remove the self cancelling unit and do not see it as usefull in any case.
            Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X