X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flipping stator cover gasket

'85 GS550ES
    Stator cover keeps leaking.

The gasket seals off the stator area, but also a separate cavity coming off the oil pump at oil pump pressure. The oil pump part always leaks.

History:
    PO (known here and elsewhere as a great mechanic) replaced this gasket about 4 years ago. I had to replace it again a few months after I bought the bike. At the time I tried using grease on the gasket, then the non-setting hylomar-like stuff from Permatex, then Permatex ultra black RTV with no gasket, then ultra black on the gasket, then ultra black on the casing, the cover, and the gasket. That finally held until recently.

A month ago it started leaking again. I completely removed any trace of old paper gasket and various sealants. I very lightly wet-sanded with 400 grit sandpaper what wouldn't scrape off with stiff plastic. Since then I again tried the hylomar-like stuff, some anaerobic sealant from Loctite that a Loctite rep sent me for free and says he's rebuilt dozens of engines using no paper gaskets, just this, and neither has worked.

While I was waiting for Suzuki of America to send the gaskets on a mule to the local dealer, I went over the surfaces and I couldn't slip anything between them anywhere. They really look clean. I can't find any high-spots. The surfaces around the oil-pump have a few small dimples in them. Not sure what to make of that. Could someone have gotten happy with a belt sander or something?

In a week I have to ride this thing 3k miles from Seattle back to Illinois or arrange to ship it back. I'm working in a driveway. Also one of the PPOs made a JB weld mess under the stator on the bottom of the block. No idea why it's there but obviously he had trouble too. I chiseled that off recently.

Nasty RTV job again?

I have an extra engine at home and the valve seals on this bike are beginning to leak, so this is an extra reason to rebuild the other engine, if I can get this bike home.

Didn't see a question here so I'll share some thoughts...

My 850 has a leak from the stator cover "area". I say area because I'm not sure where the leak is coming from. Leak does not occur until the engine is full hot and has been over the road for a while. Replaced the stator cover gasket, installed new one dry, and the leak is still there. Pulled the cover back off and it looks like the gasket was compressed all around...but when checking the gasket surface on the engine, the gasket surface area seems pretty thin. Took matters into my own hands and hand cut a new gasket out of slightly thicker than stock gasket paper. Making the gasket was quite simple and only took about 15 min or so. Installed it after rubbing Ultra Black Permatex RTV gasket goop on it - very thin coat. At any rate, I'm confident the cover will not leak now...just hope the leak is not from somewhere else.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i would set the cover on a pieces of glass and check for warp-age. if you see some then you need to take a bit of it out. valve grinding grit on the glass and move the cover around untill you have some of the warpage out. just take a few thousands out.

if your going to do a rebuild on this motor. I would not be afrade of makeing my own gasket. find a good autoparts store and thay will have gasket metaral. get some that is medum thick. let them know what type of part your trying to seal thay will help you pick the best. rember to torq the bolts in the to the right specks and pattern. but only make a gasket if your comfortable with doing the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Didn't see a question here so I'll share some thoughts...
        I guess I was just looking for some thoughts. It's the only paper gasket on the engine that sees oil-pump pressure, and it's a plain-bearing engine, so it's a little higher. Thought maybe it'd be a more common problem. Whenever I use any kind of gasket goop and torque it down when the goop is wet, the goop is completely pushed away from the mating surfaces--just plain paper there--and it leaks, so it doesn't all add up. (The only thing that's worked is excessive RTV and letting it set and then torqueing it just a half turn or so after that.)

I have one more good gasket and I could still buy material and make one that's thicker. I suppose I'll try making a big RTV mess and pray for the best. I meant to check the stator cover on a sheet of glass last time and sort of forgot. I'll do that first, too.

Comment

Working...
        X