Tachometer problem....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer problem....?

I want to lube my tach cable. Is it as simple as unscrewing the back of the tach cluster and unscrewing the tach cable (like the clutch cable), then squirting lube on the cable? Any calibrations I should be aware of? Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2008, 11:22 PM. Reason: Wrong question

What bike? There are different ones you know

Comment

It's a 78 GS550, sorry should have included. Thanks.

Comment

The mechanical tach involves lubing the cable and the mechanism in order to get it to work better, also check the cable to see if it is fraying.

Comment

How do I access the cable? Any concern about not getting it back together correctly and getting an innaccurate reading?

Comment

Remove both ends of the cable, from the back of the guage and the engine, the cable will then slide out of the sheath, shoot a lot of Brakecleen through the sheath until it stops coming out black, spray the cable with BC too until it is nice and shiny, check the cable to see if it is frayed. I then use moly to work into the cable first and put some stp into the sheath, and insert the cable, work it in and out a few times, put more stp work it in and out a few times and screw it back into the engine so it doesn't drain out. To lube the guage is beyond me as I don't have that model and don't know how to open those guages, sorry

Comment

Working...
            X