Engine assembly questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine assembly questions

I'm finally getting around to putting my engine for the Beast back together, and have a few questions. My manual seems vauge:

1. Does the right hand seal on the crankshaft just slide on and butt up against the bearing's circlip? Looks that way but wanted to be sure.

2. And on the other side the starter clutch oil seal fits into the end of the bearing. Is there a trick to getting the old one out? Mine's stuck in there good.

3. For those seals and the two others (countershaft plug and the oil seal behind the sproket) what are you using for a seal dressing, Suzukibond?

4. The manual says to oil the crank bearings and tranny before putting the case together. Is that all you do? No moly lube? Do I only need molylube on the cams?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by renobruce; 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

I just slid my replacement seals in place against the bearings and then lined them up with the case plus the dowls for the bearing pins. One came off easy the other was really tight against the bearing.

The gearbox seals have the half moons to but up against and are a compression fit like the half moons in the cylinder head.

Moly paste on the camshafts and journals (if new) is really important but give the crank bearings a liberal oiling and they will be fine.

Suzuki mad

That was on a GS(X)110ESD 1983.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2008, 04:06 AM. Reason: Added bike...

Comment

#3 - no seal dressing required (i did use some engine oil to aid assembly)

#4 - no moly lube required anywhere (not even on the cams, except if using new cams and/or cam holding caps), do use engine oil though
      Last edited by psyguy; 08-01-2008, 05:19 AM.
      GS850GT

Comment

1. Does the right hand seal on the crankshaft just slide on and butt up against the bearing's circlip? Looks that way but wanted to be sure.

Yes.

2. And on the other side the starter clutch oil seal fits into the end of the bearing. Is there a trick to getting the old one out? Mine's stuck in there good.

You kind of have to cut those off, they fit pretty tight. Actually unless they were screwed up we didn't normally bother replacing them. Then again the engines we rather new at the time. I seem to remember a screw driver and a hammer inside the wiper on the metal part as working well.

3. For those seals and the two others (countershaft plug and the oil seal behind the sproket) what are you using for a seal dressing, Suzukibond?

Dry. Make sure the case where the seals seat is nice and clean. A little oil on you finger applied to the wiper before installation is normal procedure but the outside is to be perfectly dry.

4. The manual says to oil the crank bearings and tranny before putting the case together. Is that all you do? No moly lube? Do I only need molylube on the cams?

This engine has roller bearings, if you'd like a squirt of oil in each bearing (especially if new) is a good idea but if the crank has been used before I didn't usually bother. New cams or a new head would call for Suzuki moly paste but if the parts are not new I didn't bother putting anything on them.

Remember that I was doing this back in the day and as a flat rate mechanic the engines pretty much came apart and went right back together. We learned that dry seals and dry gaskets neither leaked or slipped. If the engine has been apart for any length of time cleaning and relubing all the parts is necessary.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone used wheel bearing grease on the crank bearings for assembly? I wonder if that would be helpful..... or not.

I'll probably have many other questions. I should probably start a rebuild thread.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Grease with oil?

Not needed. Give it a good coating of engine oil it will be fine.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone used wheel bearing grease on the crank bearings for assembly? I wonder if that would be helpful..... or not.

I'll probably have many other questions. I should probably start a rebuild thread.
              No grease, just a squirt of oil.

What you really want to do comes later, after you've got the cams in and you're ready to fire it up:

Pull the spark plugs
              Rotate the engine about 50 times to achieve some oil pressure
              Reinstall plugs
              Hit the starter button

Most of the wear occurs during start up, when less oil is available.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
              X