Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It wasn't broke, so I tried to fix it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you completly take everything apart?

besides #15 which is called the needle jet? some times there are litlte screens that go on needle valve assembly that clog with dirt. I would bet you have crap in the needle valve. take the carbs off or drain the bowls into some sort of pan, i bet there will be crud that drains with it.

78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Yeah, I like the theory of something clogging it, but I tell ya, I've cleaned this SOB from top to bottom including the tank, bowls, you name it. I even soaked the needle jet for about 10 minutes with carb cleaner (not soaking as in submerged, but rather doused it thoroughly). After the last post, I went out, and it took a second and fired right back up. Rode it around, and so far so good. When I get off shift in the morning, I'm going to take her for a spin down the road. That way, if she loses power again, I'll just hitch a ride back with the BIG RED FIRE TRUCK and call a bud with a trailor. So, as it stands right now, it's running good...scratch that...pretty good! I"m still planning on taking it to the shop to do the sync with the airscrews due to not having the proper tools to do that. Thanks again SOOOOO much to everyone for their expert (and even non-expert) opinions. It's such a wonderful feeling. Now, to get my wife and go for a ride. THEN I'll get on the bike and see how it feels too! I'll give an update on Monday to see how things went. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Comment

you could try and fill the carbs up with 50:50 mix of gas and seafoam. and then add some to the tank as well. see if that happens

is you petcock vacume operated? hook the vacume end up to a hose and carefull suck on it and see if gas comes out the gas end. be careful you might get a mouth full of gas.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

bro do yourself a favor before packing it for a weekend trip.. get the petcock figured out. It still sounds like its not flowing right. BTW, a kink in the hose or bad hose routing might do it too. If the hose loops up a bit cause its too long you'll get an air pocket it won't flow right. Sounds like you got a nice rider there once its figured out.

Comment

aHA!

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
            bro do yourself a favor before packing it for a weekend trip.. get the petcock figured out. It still sounds like its not flowing right. BTW, a kink in the hose or bad hose routing might do it too. If the hose loops up a bit cause its too long you'll get an air pocket it won't flow right. Sounds like you got a nice rider there once its figured out.
            Now there's something I didn't think of. I did replace the fuel line with newer hose and LONGER because the other seemed like $hit. I'll trim it down a bit and see how that works. Might not, but I did put on a lengthy section of replacement hose. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by en12gine View Post
              Now there's something I didn't think of. I did replace the fuel line with newer hose and LONGER because the other seemed like $hit. I'll trim it down a bit and see how that works. Might not, but I did put on a lengthy section of replacement hose. Thanks for the tip!
              I did trim it back about 3 inches so that the fuel filter laid about level. Also, took the petcock apart and blew in it (not that it does much, but I had nothing better to do at work except try). Put it back together, and cranked again. No fuel flow. Put it on RESERVE, and the VUALA! Fuel flow! I got it running and trimmed down the idle screw to a reasonable level. Let it sit there for a few minutes, and did fine. I thought I'd try to turn it back to ON to see if it would work then. As soon as I did, right back to the no fuel flow. Problem: Need new fuel cock. Answer: Runs on RESERVE. It's staying on RESERVE until new petcock is in. THANKS AGAIN for all the help guys! I will continue to read these forums, as now I feel like buying a fixer upper for the wife to ride along with me. You guys ROCK!!

Comment

Working...
              X