Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need a gasket for clutch spring replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a gasket for clutch spring replacement?

Going on a long trip on Sunday, down to Philly, then over to Long Island then back home after a few days. I noticed my clutch slipping last week, so ordered new OEM clutch springs for my 25K mile bike.

Only then did I notice someone mention the gasket would need replacing on the clutch cover. Is this true? I don't want to take it apart if I need one, since I probably won't be able to source one by Sunday.

If I don't need one, how easy of a job is this? Are we talking an hour or two, or an afternoon or two?

If it can't be done, will the bike be OK to ride with the clutch slipping only under really high rpms and really hard acceleration?

I think the Universal Laws of Murphy apply here -- if you don't have a new gasket, your clutch gasket will tear into a million pieces.

If you do have one handy, it will separate cleanly and can be re-used.

This is probably not a good place to substitute sealer or (ick) RTV.

On some bikes, the thickness of the gasket makes a difference, and a thinner gasket (or no gasket) could cause the shifter to bind.

It's an easy 15 minute job other than that. Bike on kickstand, all the oil runs to the other side, ba-da-bing and you're done.

It won't really hurt anything to ride the bike with a little slippage as long as you avoid slipping it all the time like some kind of psycho monkey... if you are a psycho monkey, then order up some new clutch fibers while you're at it.
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As far as the gasket, you might hit the lottery and the old gasket will come off clean and reseal, or you might use a tiny bit of ultra gray on the old gasket and get a good seal as a temp fix. Odds are though if you pull the cover and put it back on without replacing the gasket it's gonna leak. How bad is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
        Going on a long trip on Sunday, down to Philly, then over to Long Island then back home after a few days. I noticed my clutch slipping last week, so ordered new OEM clutch springs for my 25K mile bike.

Only then did I notice someone mention the gasket would need replacing on the clutch cover. Is this true? I don't want to take it apart if I need one, since I probably won't be able to source one by Sunday.

If I don't need one, how easy of a job is this? Are we talking an hour or two, or an afternoon or two?

If it can't be done, will the bike be OK to ride with the clutch slipping only under really high rpms and really hard acceleration?
        You may or may not be able to use the gasket...if it's been on there awhile or the PO used sealant it might tear.
        Or it may be perfectly reusable. I've had the same one on my drag bike for two years and I take the cover off a dozen times a season, if not more.
        Replacing the springs in a stock clutch....easy as pie, maybe an hour if your slow....
        I can replace the springs and clutch plates in less than an hour...

HTH,
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

OK. I think I'll leave it as is, be gentle, order the new gasket and really take my time when I replace them when I get back. Then I can take out the plates and measure/scuff them up too, while I'm at it.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I got away with it on both mine... without gaskets on hand either. Of course I have them now so will likely never need them
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Looks like a pretty easy gasket to cutout from a sheet. Trace pattern and cut with sharp xacto knife. Use a hole punch for the small holes. Did a stator cover gasket last weekend and it took about 15 min.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

[quote=bwringer;871425]On some bikes, the thickness of the gasket makes a difference, and a thinner gasket (or no gasket) could cause the shifter to bind.quote]

I just got some gasket material for my clutch cover and stator cover. It's rated for oils. But it's thicker than stock. Think it will affect the helical pinion in the clutch or the stator? I tried to get the correct clutch cover gasket (twice), but alas, it wouldn't quite fit properly. Hence the "make your own". BTW..B, I'm getting close to startup, probably in a few days. Wanna be there? '81 GS750L.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    I just got some gasket material for my clutch cover and stator cover. It's rated for oils. But it's thicker than stock. Think it will affect the helical pinion in the clutch or the stator? I tried to get the correct clutch cover gasket (twice), but alas, it wouldn't quite fit properly. Hence the "make your own". BTW..B, I'm getting close to startup, probably in a few days. Wanna be there? '81 GS750L.
                    Nah, a little thicker won't hurt anything. I've only seen the binding thing caused by a thinner gasket once, and I think there's really supposed to be more clearance than there was on that bike.

Give me a call when you're ready for ignition!
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X