Best way to refit airbox on gs650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to refit airbox on gs650

This gs650 I picked up the other week had the middle bit of the airbox removed by the po. (I don't know why, other than the guy swore there is no way on earth to refit the thing)

I've had a quick look , and I have a spare set of carbs which I am going to completely strip/clean/reset.

Theres the airbox, where the airfilter goes, still attached to the bike.
    Theres the carbs, still attached to the bike.
    Theres this middle bit, which fits between the two.

My question is (and remember, the carbs will be coming off anyway) , but I still wonder.

Would it be easier to refit the middle bit by removing the airbox or the carbs?

Might seem like a daft question, but as with most things gs, there is a right way to do things, and no real other way.

I'm probably going to take the airbox off anyway, since the battery box is a bit nasty, so I might clean up that whole section of the bike while I'm in there, you know how it is, you touch one bit, spot the next bit and next thing you know you have a pile of bits

This is a GREAT question!! One which I have layed awake in bed pondering. I got my GS1000 completely together, but have since taken the carbs and airboxes out for cleaning. In order to get them out, I had to remove the engine mounts, all but the one on the bottom, and roll the engine forward to give me enough room to wiggle stuff out. Is this the way it's supposed to be done? Is this the way everything will go back in as well? It's a bit of a PITA since that dang airbox fits between the carbs and frame tubes so tightly. Anybody know of an easier way to go about this?

Comment

Engine in place.

Put the airbox in and push it as far back to the frame rails as it will go.

Put all the airbox and inlet rubbers back from the edges of the rubbers so as not to catch the carbs as they come in.

Fit the throttle and choke cable to the pullers. DO NOT FULLY SET THEM.

Slide carbs in from the points side of the bike. (right hand side.) I normally fit them engine side down airbox side up so on a slight angle.

Once in place pull the engine side up and fit to the inlet rubbers. Do not do up the clamps.

Push the airbox onto the carbs and push the carbs down into the rubbers.

Once lined up clamp up the airbox to the frame and then clamp the carbs in place.

Set the throttles and choke cables.

Refit the tank, air filter.

Prime and then start the bike up.

Works on my GS1000E/GS(X)1100ESD and Bandit 1200. Takes about 40 minutes.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Cheers , I'll print that off.

Dive over to Mansfield and show me if you are bored

Comment

If you have problems I'I see what I can do.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Great instructions. I just did this 3 times. (don't ask...)

I'd like to add:

Lube the rubbers and the carbs (w/ wd-40 or similar) to help them slide in easier.

Comment

Well, wish me luck, I'm going to have a wee dummy run today, since I'm not in the mood to do anything serious, I'm gonna have a little fiddle around with the airbox, just to get the feel for it.

Swearbox at the ready

Comment

If you have silcone grease that will help with the rubber seals. IF you have stripped the carbs off the rails for cleaning its a good idea to check that the rubbers line up correctly. You can be out as much as 1/4/inch.

If you have a problem PM me.

Suzuki mad.

NB. I've just refitted a set of bandit 1200 carbs for the first time in about 30 minutes and it took about an hour and a half to get the bike running after a leaking float bowl seal problem. It does work, honest.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: Added.

Comment

Working...
                X