o rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

o rings?

So it seems like the general consensus on here is that you should replace the o-rings in the carbs. The usual suggestion is cycleorings.com. My friend bought them and the kit was good, no problems so far.....but I also read on here somewhere that nitrile o-rings don't last, and this is what cycleorings offers. I figure at their price vs buying the complete rebuild kit it's still a good deal even if they only last a couple of years, but does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Joshua

Hi Mr. joshua,

The viton O-rings are necessary only in high heat situations, like on the intake boots connecting to the head.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would give Mr. Robert Barr a PM. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/member.php?u=703 about his o-ring package. I've ordered from him 2 times and have been very content with his price and his nice labeled and detailed descriptions of where the o-rings go

Comment

He did a lot of research for the O ring kits so don't worry about what type they are

Comment

I bought the intake boot and carb Oring kits plus the stainless allen bolt kits from Robert, Very nice guy to deal with. I just replaced the intake boot Orings and those crummy phillips screws with the new allen bolts. Huge difference in performance. I'll rebuild the carbs in the off season. I've had experience before with phillips screws on a motorcycle, prepare yourself for the worst. I got my hand impact driver out and promptly rounded out the first screw. I tried one last shot with a heavier hammer and to my amazement it broke loose. I figured the two inbound carbs were going to be a pain to get at with the hand impact so I thought I'd give my air impact a try. Good choice. I made sure I was pushing the phillips head on the impact wrench into the screw with as much pressure as I could and it worked. no more problems getting the screws out untill I got to carb #4 when I got into a bit of a hurry and let the air impact round out the last screw. I took the phillips bit out of the socket and hammered it into the rounded out screw cutting a new phillips slot, I then used the hand impact wrench with the heavier hammer and the last one broke loose. All in all not too much trouble, I feel I got lucky as these screws can be a nightmare. I'm sure a lot of guys can relate to the headaches of having to use a screw extractor (EZ out) to get stripped phillips screws out.

Comment

Originally posted by joshua View Post
            does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Joshua
            ... and they're great as wholesome after-school snacks, sprinkled over ice cream or straight out of the bag. Mom-approved. Mmmm!
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The set of Robert Barr's o-rings in my GS850 carbs have been working perfectly for I think four years, possibly five. I've also installed them on several other sets of carbs, with zero problems.

As BassCliff said, and as explained on the http://cycleorings.com site, nitrile is the perfect material for this application. Viton is only necessary for situations where you're dealing with heat over 250 degrees F.

"Viton" does sound cooler than nitrile, though.

Order up your set, install, and fuhgeddaboutit.

Oh, and there's not really any "they" at cycleorings.com, unless Robert has drafted some hapless kids or something. It's just Robert, going slowly mad, his eyes beady and fingers twitchy from counting thousands teensy o-rings...
              Last edited by bwringer; 08-02-2008, 11:40 PM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X