Valve guide oil seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve guide oil seals

I probably should have bumped my rebuild thread, but....

Got the head back from the machine shop and been working on getting the carbon out of the ports with brass wire brush on a dremel tool and a dentists pick. I'm afraid I may have to take it back and get them to resurface the valve seats as a couple are a little rough. ANYWAY, I cannot get the oil seals off the guides. Manual says needle nose pliers, yeah right. What's the trick?

Don't get too forceful trying to get the seals off or you may snap off a guide.

They can get kind of crusty but you might want to try some heat from a heat gun to soften up the seals. There is typically a metal shell holding the seal so you need to pry off the metal shell - maybe use a hooked tool to lift it off?

BTW: What did the machine shop do for you? Pitting in the seat can be removed with light valve lapping if it's not too bad.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Don't get too forceful trying to get the seals off or you may snap off a guide.

They can get kind of crusty but you might want to try some heat from a heat gun to soften up the seals. There is typically a metal shell holding the seal so you need to pry off the metal shell - maybe use a hooked tool to lift it off?

BTW: What did the machine shop do for you? Pitting in the seat can be removed with light valve lapping if it's not too bad.

Good luck.
      I'll try hooking underneath them with one of my picks after applying some heat. They are toast, they have to come off, so I'll just keep at it, if I trash a guide, so be it, my decision on replacing the guides will be made for me then I guess.

The machine shop checked it for "true" which it wasn't so they milled it, I think they said 4/100th of a mm, and they superficially cleaned it, $60.00 plus tax. I think I can just lap them. It's where it was run with the valves poorly adjusted so they didn't fully close allowing carbon to build up on the seat. I have them mostly clean, but by the time I get them totally clean I made have roughed them up a bit. I may have to use coarse then fine lapping compound.

Comment

If the seats aren't pitted you should be fine.
        Those oil seals are just rubber and a little spring in them to hold in the oil from the valve stem.
        Burn those fvckers off as Ed said.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'd try a bit of heat first (hot air gun rather than a burner) and then grab the seal an gently wiggle from side to side and try and twist. If it comes loose it will wiggle off. If it won't budge then try burning off - the rubber is pretty thin beneath the metal so you won't gain a tremendous amount but again try wiggling and twisting.

Take care as Nessism says not to snap the top off the guide (they are pretty thin around the clip area) but also watch that you don't score the bucket bores as well.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Try not to snapp a guide off. Whats left can be a real pain in the Ar** to get out of the head and involve a lot more machine work with extra cost.

If it won't come and you are changing the valve guides why not leave them in place and take the guide and seal out in one go?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
              Try not to snapp a guide off. Whats left can be a real pain in the Ar** to get out of the head and involve a lot more machine work with extra cost.

If it won't come and you are changing the valve guides why not leave them in place and take the guide and seal out in one go?

Suzuki mad
              Ed and others have convinced me not to change the guides unless I have to. I noticed my Clymers doesn't even show how to take the guides out in it's procedures, the service manual does of course.

Comment

I use a pair of long nosed pliers, one part inside the seal the other outside and gently pull. Not had a problem so far.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                  I use a pair of long nosed pliers, one part inside the seal the other outside and gently pull. Not had a problem so far.

Suzuki mad
                  Thats how I got mine off, it just deforms them, but just pull then straight in line with the guide. You can also hook two right angle screwdrives undr the bottom edge and lever then off by pulling straight up, at an angle and it will not come off.

Comment

Ok, dentists pick did the trick, getting under them and pulling up, but I'm going to have to finish with a torch I think. They are so brittle they disintegrate when you try and take them out. Got them mostly off, but bit of rubber here and there still glued to the guide.

Comment

You can now give the guides a look see if they are visibly oval and just check the valve stem play. If they are bad then you could replace them yourself. I was lucky as mine was in good condition. apparently the valve sten seals should be made from Viton as some other substances like those used in some of the intake o-rings make the rubber brittle if used in a hot environment. Or this is as I understand it. Use viton and they will remain pliable!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                        You can now give the guides a look see if they are visibly oval and just check the valve stem play. If they are bad then you could replace them yourself. I was lucky as mine was in good condition. apparently the valve sten seals should be made from Viton as some other substances like those used in some of the intake o-rings make the rubber brittle if used in a hot environment. Or this is as I understand it. Use viton and they will remain pliable!!?
                        I have to assume they are the factory seals. I seriously doubt this top end has ever been rebuilt before. This engine was ABUSED, but the head was sound, only slightly warped, no stripped bolt holes or broken bolts stuck in it like my original (the reason I am swapping it in for my original head). So far on this head I have found a valve that was stuck open because a hose clamp had fallen into the engine and was stuck between a valve and the seat (yes, I am serious, and I bet it's the reason the bike it came off of got parked) and multiple valves so badly in need of adjustment the seat where it should have met the valve was gunked up with carbon.

Comment

A hose clamp? Hope someone has not figured out a way to adjust valves with a hose clamp!! The zip tie method already does not have everyones approval! Sometimes a part that looks bad can be fixed as good as new and another that looks good just has too many issues. I think after all your bad luck with the head this one sounds as if this one should be OK after a good bit of maintenance and clean up.

Comment

I made a valve stem seal puller out of a huge pair of needlenose pliers from Harbor Freight.

I Dremeled out some material inside near the tips, so they can partially close around the valve seal and hook under it.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              I made a valve stem seal puller out of a huge pair of needlenose pliers from Harbor Freight.

I Dremeled out some material inside near the tips, so they can partially close around the valve seal and hook under it.
                              Good one, still working on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X