Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Questions

Hello Everyone,

I have a recently purchased '81 GS550T which I am trying to get back on the road after several yrs of sitting and have a couple of quick questions regarding the clutch operation. If you'll see the picture below, I a missing a cover over what I believe is the clutch cable adjustment mechanism.

Is anything other than the cover and screws for the cover missing? I've seen some pictures showing a clutch return spring in my Clymers manual, but don't know that I'm looking at the same location or year model in those pictures.

Aside from this, it doesn't seem like the clutch is fully disengaging. I've made the following observations:
    1. rear wheel rotates when on center stand in gear (not in neutral) with clutch lever fully pulled in and the engine running.
    2. It is difficult to spin the rear wheel when the bike is on the center stand with motor off, the transmission is in gear, and the clutch lever is fully retracted. It becomes impossible with the clutch lever released, however.
    3. It is difficult to shift gears with the bike not running and on the centerstand unless I slightly rotate the rear wheel. I've been able to run through all gears successfully when running on the centerstand.

Is this all normal behavior? I'm a bit more suspicious of the clutch than I otherwise would be due to the missing cover.

Thank you,
    Jack

Actually, the Clutch is on the other side. Sounds like you may want to start with just a simple clutch cable replacement and or adjustment. That is a nice picture. Looks like the shifter on the shaft and linkage needs some lube. That will cause some shifting issues too.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The bike looks clean but there's evidence of gunk. The clutch plates may be varnished or otherwise suffering from oldness.

The sure fire solution is to remove the clutch pack and inspect the disks. You may as well replace them if you go that far.

Comment

You can go to places online like www.bikebandit.com and look up the parts diagram to see what you are missing

Comment

According to this pic you shouldn't even have a clutch to pull.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X