R/R Stator papers Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Stator papers Question??

I’m trying to figure out if the new Electrix R/R I just bought is a dud. I’m going through testing procedures in the stator papers and get the following results with the R/R disconnected from the bike and my multimeter set to diode test:
    1.)With the Red + lead connected to the red wire, and checking the yellow wires with the black – lead I get the following:
    The Stator papers say that if it is less than 1v then the regulator is bad, but my meter (see attached pic) say’s its good, so I guess my question is, is this within tolerance or do I have a problem?

2.)With the black – lead connected to the Red Wire, and the Red + Lead checking the yellow wires. I get the following which according to the stator papers means this part at least is good.

3.)With the black – lead connected to the ground wire, and using the Red + lead to check the yellow wires I get pretty much the same result as in step 1 and my meter says its good.

4.) With the black – lead connected to the Red Wire, and the Red + Lead checking the yellow wires. I get the following which is pretty much the same values as step 2.
    Is this thing toast, and my meter is lying to me or are these acceptable values?

The only thing that I can offer is that consistency is good.

I have never seen a diode test that will show numbers that are double like yours did. You should get about half a volt in one direction (and you do), and some indication of non-conductance in the other. Just under a volt is NOT non-conductance.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I’m going to order a new stator today because I found that although I’m getting 75VAC at 5000RPM on all three yellow wires. I also get continuity between 2 of them. Do you think I should go ahead and order a new R/R as well?

Comment

When you checked the yellow stator leads was it disconnected from the RR? The battery that powers the meter could be a little low which would give a lower reading. You might want to check the stator leads make sure they not shorted together . When I got my bike the PO had put a new stator in but pinched a lead between the cover and block, I fixed the lead and it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tlamar View Post
          I’m going to order a new stator today because I found that although I’m getting 75VAC at 5000RPM on all three yellow wires. I also get continuity between 2 of them. Do you think I should go ahead and order a new R/R as well?
          What do you mean by continuity? With the stator leads disconnected, you should get between 0.5 and 2 ohms between any two stator leads. More or less is a problem. You should show open between any one stator lead and ground. Anything less than open is a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X