1983 gs550es no spark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs550es no spark!

I recently bought this 1983 gs550es that is in great shape (like new appearance). The controls all seem to work perfectly, it turns over gets fuel but there is no spark. At first I thought it could be the coils. I also have a 1985 gs550ef that runs great, so I took the coils off of the '83 and put them on the '85 and it started right up. I also switched the igniter and the '85 started right up again. I'm Stumped. New battery, plugs. I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.
    Thanks!

Battery voltage okay on it?

Comment

Did you try and swap the signal generator?
      Two out of three ain't bad.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I switched the signal generator and no luck, I broke down and had a mechanic look at it (electrical is not my thing) and it ended up being the ignition switch. Swapped them out and it fired right up! Bike runs great. Cleaned the carbs and adjusted valves, new fork seals and tires and it's like a brand new bike. Thank for the input guys!

Comment

Working...
        X