High pitch rattle at 5.5-6k rpms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High pitch rattle at 5.5-6k rpms?

I have a 1978 Suzuki GS550 with 4-1 headers and pods. I get a high pitched, tinny kind of rattling, it is like light tapping kind of, doesn't sound real violent. It happens in every gear between 5.5-6k rpms. I had initially suspected my keys, skyboy8950 suggested one of the clutch or brake levers, (the sound seems like it is coming from higher up on the bike), however neither of these seem the culprit. Any ideas? I just don't want to cause any damage, the bike feels like it's running pretty good, but it's my first bike so what do I know?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2008, 02:53 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

i started having a high pitch rattle after i put on the lower tripple tree cover (which was missing when i bought the bike)
    it happens at 6k rpm
    so now, instead of looking at the tach, i can change gears "by ear", just after the rattle disappears
    GS850GT

Comment

It's looking like the vibration was coming from my horn. Anyone had a similar problem? Could it be anything else? I just got home from a ride, so I'll reply after adjustments. Thanks.

Comment

rattle

HI I mounted a mac on my 81550T, had similar prob, was the center stand. not that its it but good luck. SAN

Comment

I have the exact same rattle on my 78 550! It's a little bit intermittent, but sounds like it's coming from under the tank or something. I'll definitely be checking the horn now that I read your post. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Comment

If your horn mounts to the frame by a short arm, that's often the cause of some sympathetic vibration.

Just add some support and it will go away.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

I fight a couple of buzzy rattles on my bike periodically. One is indeed from a loose horn. Mine will actually touch the top of the valve cover unless they are properly positioned and tightened up good.

The other high-pitched rattle (at about 3800 rpm, used to be higher) is from the vanity cover on the fork below the headlight. I think I'm going to have to replace the rubber bushings. But for now I use a dab or two of silicone caulking, the stuff that dries clear. I put it under and behind the cover so nobody can see it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Try going down the road at 5.5-6k and just start touching stuff with your left hand. Touch EVERYTHING. I wish someone told me this before I totally tore down my 650, only to find out that it was the gas cap key door. It was still there after the rebuild and while deciding to "just drive it", I happened to reach over and cover the cap for some reason while it was rattling, and silence. *groan, rolls eyes* 3 weeks and $400 later and it still rattles with the new cap. I just gave up and decided to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                  Try going down the road at 5.5-6k and just start touching stuff with your left hand. Touch EVERYTHING. I wish someone told me this before I totally tore down my 650, only to find out that it was the gas cap key door. It was still there after the rebuild and while deciding to "just drive it", I happened to reach over and cover the cap for some reason while it was rattling, and silence. *groan, rolls eyes* 3 weeks and $400 later and it still rattles with the new cap. I just gave up and decided to live with it.
                  Dynamat. Get some. Cut little tiny strips and stick em on the spots where the cap touches to rattle. Never hear it again.

Comment

Working...
                  X