Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicagoland GS'er w/ Manometer ?

And a kind heart....

The boy and I got the bike running last night. Before it would only run poorly with choke and never idle.

After cleaning & replacing the rubber in the carbs, new intake boots and gaskets, doing a valve shim adjustment, cleaning the starter, setting the timing, new plugs and air filter it fires right up and idles well. (Gee, that's all it took. :-)

To finish it off we need to do a carb sync.

Can anyone help us out? We're in Northbrook.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and a big thanks to Ray of the shim club. We couldn't have done it without this forum.

Rob
    '80 GS550L

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
    And a kind heart....

The boy and I got the bike running last night. Before it would only run poorly with choke and never idle.

After cleaning & replacing the rubber in the carbs, new intake boots and gaskets, doing a valve shim adjustment, cleaning the starter, setting the timing, new plugs and air filter it fires right up and idles well. (Gee, that's all it took. :-)

To finish it off we need to do a carb sync.

Can anyone help us out? We're in Northbrook.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and a big thanks to Ray of the shim club. We couldn't have done it without this forum.

Rob
    '80 GS550L
    I'm in Bartlett. Not exactly next door to you but I have a Morgan CarbTune and have used it several times on my bike. I'll be around today and tomorrow if you want to come buy. Let me know and I'll PM you my address.

If you want to see how far apart we are, GoogleMaps 60103.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the offer.

I can't do this until tomorrow so unless someone a little closer chimes in, could I pick it up tomorrow morning?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Morgan carbtune comes with 4 adapters that fit to the 4 allen headed bolts fitted into the head between the carb and engine.

You remove these and put the adapters in. The fit the gauges.

Remove the tank and fit extension fuel pipes and vacuum pipes so you have fuel.

Run engine till hot and then using a 8mm spanner and screw driver you adjust the link bar running between No 3 and 4 and No 1. 2 is set.

The outer 2 will be half a 'ball' heigher than the middle two.

Sounds easy and is if you have all the tools.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoRob View Post
          Awesome, thanks for the offer.

I can't do this until tomorrow so unless someone a little closer chimes in, could I pick it up tomorrow morning?

Thanks,

Rob
          Hate to appear particular about my tools but I would prefer if you brought the bike here and we did the sync here. The sync is a fine tune adjustment so you should have no trouble riding the bike here.

If that does not work then I could probably come out there tomorrow afternoon and bring the tool(s) with me. We could get it done then I'd be on my merry way.

Let me know what you think. I sent you a PM earlier with my number.

Comment

Working...
          X