Fuel Filter Hang up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Filter Hang up

Will a Fuel filter restrict the flow enought that the fuel pressure cant flow through it enough(does that make sense???) I have a generic filter(think it was for a lawn mower) get great flow to it but when I break the line going to the carb from the filter(w/o the bike running obviously )it just drips at a slow rate...Im reaching for answers Also on a similar not I know these things are mostly vaccuum assist gravity feeds... HOw much does gravity effect the fuel getting to the carbs???

Whats the diameter on the inlet and outlet tubes on the filter? Is the filter getting dirty. It may not look it but it could be plugged already.

Comment

double check the direction you mounted the filter they are designed to flow one way only. the gas should come out more than just a trickle.

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
        double check the direction you mounted the filter they are designed to flow one way only. the gas should come out more than just a trickle.
        Aldo does the fuel flow freely if you remove the filter???

Comment

Re: Fuel Filter Hang up

The fuel system is not vacuum assisted gravity feed. It is only gravity feed.
          The vacuum is nothing more than a switch that turns the petcock on and does nothing to increase rate of fuel flow.

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie
          Will a Fuel filter restrict the flow enought that the fuel pressure cant flow through it enough(does that make sense???) I have a generic filter(think it was for a lawn mower) get great flow to it but when I break the line going to the carb from the filter(w/o the bike running obviously )it just drips at a slow rate...Im reaching for answers Also on a similar not I know these things are mostly vaccuum assist gravity feeds... HOw much does gravity effect the fuel getting to t
          he carbs???
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

well I thinka yall may have just helped me keep from shooting her.. Gonbna get to working on it later this evening. The fuel flows out of the hose w/great vigor w/o the filter............havent run the bike since cleaning the carb(for the second time in as many weeks)w/o the filter.So that will be the first place to stop.. I d say the fuel line is 1/4 in not exactley sure it fits snug over the inlet and is that same size as what pulled off Thaks again yall!!!!

Comment

put 5/16th line on there.

Comment

well I thinka yall may have just helped me keep from shooting her.. Gonbna get to working on it later this evening. The fuel flows out of the hose w/great vigor w/o the filter............havent run the bike since cleaning the carb(for the second time in as many weeks)w/o the filter.So that will be the first place to stop.. I d say the fuel line is 1/4 in not exactley sure it fits snug over the inlet and is that same size as what pulled off Thaks again yall!!!!
                did you check what skip said about the possibility of the filter being in backwards. ???

Comment

the filter has an arrow pointing fuel direction...So thats pretty well idiot proof! I am going to wait until alter this evening to tear back into it(kids andall)

Comment

Oh I dont know about that. I've known individuals to set the fuel filter with the arrow pointing to where the fuel comes from. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

the filter has an arrow pointing fuel direction...So thats pretty well idiot proof! I am going to wait until alter this evening to tear back into it(kids andall)

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Is it an auto type or Motorcycle filter?? Sometimes auto type filter will not flow without pressure. Had a tank of Gas in my GS 850 wanted to drain and filter it into another container. With the hose disconnected and on prime 5/16 plastic auto filter would not flow more than a few drops

Comment

Arrows are awfully easy to miss especially if you don't know about them. Sometimes I have the darndest time finding them...

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Oh I dont know about that. I've known individuals to set the fuel filter with the arrow pointing to where the fuel comes from. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Earl have you been watching me work again?

Comment

I have mailed you a package of arrow decals with points at both ends. eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by skip[
                            Earl have you been watching me work again?

Comment

Working...
                            X