Whats the easist way to test a battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone. After having my old battery sat overnight at 2amps it still only read 11.45v. I just got back from wawa and got a new one. Dumped the acid in and am waiting for an hour before charging it. The lowest my charger can do is 2a, and the manual for this battery says never charge it at anything OVER 2a so 2a will have to do.
    Every motorcyclist needs a Battery Tender Plus....the best thing you will ever do for your battery...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
      Thanks for all the help everyone. After having my old battery sat overnight at 2amps it still only read 11.45v. I just got back from wawa and got a new one. Dumped the acid in and am waiting for an hour before charging it. The lowest my charger can do is 2a, and the manual for this battery says never charge it at anything OVER 2a so 2a will have to do.
      If you have a 12V test light, put it in series with your 2A charger to bring the amperage down.
      Less is definately more for a motorcycle battery
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I guess I'm a little bit late in the game, but just for information's sake.

When a battery goes bad, it can still read decent voltage around 12V. A quick way to check the battery is to put your meter on it, turn on your ignition, and you should see something like 2 - 5V. That means that the internal resistance of the battery is really high. The reason why you read 12V before is because it's not under load. No load = no current = no voltage drop = you get ****ed off cuz you think it's something else that's the problem.

Comment

Alright. Got the new battery in. 12.56 with the bike off, 13.48 with the bike on, and mid to low 14's with bike revved. Went for a ride for about a half hour, came back, turned the bike off, checked the voltage, 13.18. Is this too high or am I fine. Maybe I should just stop worrying and ride the damn thing.

Comment

It looks good. After few days riding (use) and standing overnight it should test close to 12.6 volt showing its good.

Comment

Short answer to the actual question....

Whats the easiest way to test a battery?

Take it to your nearest Autozone/Checker and even some Walmarts. Hook it up to the 'puter and can get a full analysis. Is it shorted? Too steep a current or voltage drop? It will tell you with out guessing.

Besides, if you think ur battery is bad you gotta go to the store anyway to get the new one.....

I'm just sayin.....

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Every motorcyclist needs a Battery Tender Plus....the best thing you will ever do for your battery...
                True, but for less than 1/3 the price of a Battery Tender Plus, you can get a Schumacher Battery Charger/Maintainer that does pretty much the same thing. I have several of them around here and have had no problems with any of them.

The Battery Tender Plus retails for $60, might be found for less.
                The Schumacher unit retails for $28, but Wal-Mart has them for $18 and some change, meaning it's less than $20, including tax.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X